Cincinnati smacks four home runs, beats BrewersAug 25, 2013 - 4:21 AM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - Sixth-inning home runs by Ryan Ludwick and Zack Cozart sent Cincinnati in front for good, and the Reds knocked four out of the park in all to take a 6-3 win over the Milwaukee Brewers on Saturday.
Ludwick and Cozart were two of seven position players to record at least two hits for Cincinnati, which received seven-plus solid innings out of starter Bronson Arroyo in claiming its 13th win in 18 games.
Arroyo (13-9) struck out six without a walk and was charged with three runs on seven hits. J.J. Hoover and Aroldis Chapman finished off the outing with a scoreless inning of work, with the latter earning his 33rd save.
Wily Peralta worked around seven hits to allow just one run over five innings, but John Axford (6-7) couldn't hold Milwaukee's 2-1 lead intact, serving up the homers to Ludwick and Cozart.
Khris Davis and Scooter Gennett each knocked in a run and Caleb Gindl hit a pinch-hit homer off Arroyo in the eighth for Milwaukee, which was coming off a 6-4 win in the opener of this three-game set.
Ludwick was thrown out at the plate back in the fourth inning, but helped the Reds get the run back in the sixth. Axford took over on the mound and Ludwick sent his second pitch over the wall for his first homer of the season, tying the score at 2-2.
"It looked like his stuff was okay, but he just must not be locating," said Brewers manager Ron Roenicke about Axford. "
Jack Hannahan then reached with a single and Cozart sent the Reds in front with a two-run shot over the left center field wall. Votto then took reliever Michael Gonzalez deep to start the seventh and Cozart added an RBI single off Burke Badenhop for a comfortable four-run cushion.
Aramis Ramirez and Carlos Gomez each singled to start the second and both came in to score soon after to put the Brewers ahead 2-0. Ramirez trotted home when Davis belted a pitch up in the zone off the wall in left for a double and Gomez, who moved to third on the extra-base hit, scored on Gennett's sac fly.
"Luckily, I salvaged that inning only giving up two runs," said Arroyo. "It was big because if you give up that third one it makes a bit of a difference. We just stayed steady and came back."
Cincinnati was denied a run in the fourth when Ludwick was thrown out at home trying to score from first on a double from Hannahan, but Chris Heisey got the Reds on the board an inning later with a one-out solo homer.
Arroyo has won four straight starts ... Davis went 1-for-3 to extend his hitting streak to 10 games ... Not one player on Milwaukee had multiple hits ... Shin-Soo Choo was the only position player for the Reds not to record a hit ... The Brewers were 1-for-7 with runners in scoring position while the Reds finished 1-for-6 with RISP.
- MILWAUKEE: 3
Aug 24 10:22 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Caleb Gindl lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Norichika Aoki due up.
Brewers 3, Reds 6 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 24 9:54 PM
- Zack Cozart single to center scored Brandon Phillips with two outs. Runner on first and Ryan Hanigan due up.
Brewers 2, Reds 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 24 9:44 PM
- Joey Votto lead-off Home Run (19) to left center. Brandon Phillips due up.
Brewers 2, Reds 5 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 24 9:31 PM
- Zack Cozart none-out, two-run Home Run (10) to left center scored Jack Hannahan. Ryan Hanigan due up.
Brewers 2, Reds 4 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 24 9:14 PM
- Ryan Ludwick lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Jack Hannahan due up.
Brewers 2, Reds 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 24 9:07 PM
- Chris Heisey one-out, solo Home Run (8) to left. Joey Votto due up.
Brewers 2, Reds 1 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 24 8:53 PM
- Scooter Gennett sacrifice fly to center scored Carlos Gomez with one out. On the play, Khris Davis advances to third. Runner on third and Martin Maldonado due up.
Brewers 2, Reds 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 24 7:37 PM
- Khris Davis double to left scored Aramis Ramirez with none out. On the play, Carlos Gomez advances to third. Runners on second and third and Scooter Gennett due up.
Brewers 1, Reds 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 24 7:34 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 24 7:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21