Marlins score 3 in the 4th to back Fernandez in shutout of RockiesAug 25, 2013 - 5:12 AM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Adeiny Hechavarria drove in a run with a triple to highlight a three-run fourth inning and help the Miami Marlins blank the Colorado Rockies, 3-0, in the second game of a three-game set.
Rookie sensation Jose Fernandez (10-5) fanned eight batters across seven strong innings while only surrendering four hits.
"We've definitely seen that before, he just continues to go out there and pitch outstanding," said Miami manager Mike Redmond.
Ed Lucas and Jake Marisnick also knocked in a run for Miami, who snapped their four-game losing streak.
The Rockies have still not won a game with Jeff Manship (0-4) on the mound. The struggling right-hander pitched a season-high six innings and allowed three runs on four hits.
Michael Cuddyer extended his hitting streak to eight games while going 2-for-4 with a double for the Rockies, who have lost three of their last four games.
Steve Cishek picked up his 28th save of the season after retiring the Rockies in order in the ninth.
Giancarlo Stanton started off the Marlins' fourth-inning outburst with a line- drive double to left that took one hop on the warning track and bounced off the wall. He moved over to third on a Logan Morrison groundout and crossed home plate after Lucas singled to left. Hechavarria followed with a triple and scored on Marisnick's sacrifice fly.
Cuddyer was left stranded at third in both the second and fourth innings.
"You've got to scratch and claw for everything you can get off that guy," said Rockies manager Walt Weiss referring to Fernandez. "He was real good and has been real good."
Colorado first baseman Todd Helton is currently four hits shy of 2,500 career hits ... Fernandez stayed perfect at home with a record of 7-0 and has not had a losing decision since July 7 ... Cishek hasn't blown a save in his last 23 opportunities ... Colorado shortstop Troy Tulowitzki had his hitting streak snapped at 10 games after going 0-for-4.
- COLORADO: 0
Aug 24 9:41 PM
- Jake Marisnick sacrifice fly to right scored Adeiny Hechavarria with two out. None on and Jeff Mathis due up.
Rockies 0, Marlins 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 24 8:20 PM
- Adeiny Hechavarria tripled to center scoring Ed Lucas with one out. Runner on third and Jake Marisnick due up.
Rockies 0, Marlins 2 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 24 8:20 PM
- Ed Lucas singled to left scoring Giancarlo Stanton with one out. Runner on first and Adeiny Hechavarria due up.
Rockies 0, Marlins 1 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 24 8:19 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 24 7:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21