Padres survive Cubs in 15-inning marathonAug 26, 2013 - 5:04 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - They were the victim of a bizarre play that nearly cost them the game, but the San Diego Padres rallied and captured a 3-2 win over the Chicago Cubs on Nick Hundley's game-winning hit in the 15th inning.
The game's first run was scored in the 13th, when the Cubs' Nate Schierholtz pushed a run across by taking a throw to the plate off his head. A sac fly from Brian Bogusevic made it 2-0 Cubs, but the Padres came back with two runs of their own, with the tying run scoring on a wild pitch from Kevin Gregg.
The Padres botched an opportunity to score in the 14th and the Cubs followed suit in the top of the 15th, a common theme of a game which saw the teams combine to go 2-for-26 with runners in scoring position and strand 29 total runners.
Both of those hits belonged to San Diego, with Hundley accounting for the second on his base knock into center off Hector Rondon (2-1), allowing Logan Forsythe to score easily from second.
"These (games) are great when you win, devastating when you lose," said Padres manager Bud Black.
Dale Thayer (2-3) averted a bases loaded jam in the top of the 15th, getting Junior Lake and Donnie Murphy to ground out, to pick up the win.
The Cubs had just two hits through the first 10 innings, both off San Diego starter Andrew Cashner, who went seven and struck out seven. It took them until the 13th to finally get a legitimate threat going.
They loaded the bases for Schierholtz, who sent a grounder down the first base line. He appeared to slip out of the batter's box on what had the makings of a double play, and when he looked up, Jesus Guzman's throw to the plate hit him the head. A run came home and Bogusevic added a sac fly to make it 2-0.
Gregg was unable to lock down the save, however, allowing a one-out double to Guzman and then an RBI triple to Ronny Cedeno. Cedeno then raced home and scored when Gregg had his pitch get away from Welington Castillo.
Chase Headley had a chance to win the game in the 14th, but struck out looking with runners on second and third to end the inning.
Cubs starter Chris Rusin allowed three hits and walked four over 6 1/3 innings ... Chicago has lost 11 of its last 14 games ... The Padres had 13 hits, with Chris Denorfia and Forsythe finishing with two apiece ... Game time: 5:13.
- CHICAGO: 2
SAN DIEGO: 3
Aug 25 9:29 PM
- Nick Hundley single to center scored Logan Forsythe with two outs to end the game.
Cubs 2, Padres 3 Bot 15, 2 OutsAug 25 9:27 PM
- Kevin Gregg's wild pitch scored Ronny Cedeno with two outs. None on and Alexi Amarista at the plate.
Cubs 2, Padres 2 Bot 13, 2 OutsAug 25 8:46 PM
- Ronny Cedeno triple to center scored Jesus Guzman with two outs. Runner on third and Alexi Amarista due up.
Cubs 2, Padres 1 Bot 13, 2 OutsAug 25 8:44 PM
- Brian Bogusevic sacrifice fly to right scored Starlin Castro with one out. On the play, Anthony Rizzo advances to third. Runners on first and third and Junior Lake due up.
Cubs 2, Padres 0 Top 13, 1 OutAug 25 8:33 PM
- Nate Schierholtz grounded into a fielder's choice to first, scoring Darnell McDonald on Jesus Guzman's throwing error with none out. On the play, Anthony Rizzo advances to second and Starlin Castro advances to third. Bases loaded and Brian Bogusevic due up.
Cubs 1, Padres 0 Top 13, 0 OutsAug 25 8:32 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 25 4:12 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22