Rockies edge Marlins to take rubber matchAug 25, 2013 - 11:00 PM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Nolan Arenado's tiebreaking RBI double in the top of the sixth inning proved to be the difference, as the Colorado Rockies edged the Miami Marlins, 4-3, in the rubber match of a three-game set at Marlins Park.
Ryan Wheeler collected two hits, an RBI and a run scored, while Michael Cuddyer scored a pair of runs for the Rockies, who wrapped up a 10-game road trip at 4-6.
Jorge De La Rosa (14-6) allowed three runs on five hits and three walks over five frames to earn his fourth consecutive victory. Rex Brothers worked around a pair of walks in the ninth to secure his 13th save of the season.
Justin Ruggiano stroked a solo homer and finished with two RBI, while Logan Morrison, celebrating his 26th birthday on Sunday, added an RBI and a run scored for the Marlins, who completed a 10-game homestand at 3-7.
Jacob Turner (3-5) was charged with four runs -- three earned -- on six hits and a walk over 5 2/3 innings to absorb his fourth straight losing decision.
The Rockies struck first in the second, as Cuddyer worked a leadoff walk and Arenado followed with a single to center. After both runners moved up a base on Turner's wild pitch, Wheeler laced a single to left to plate Cuddyer.
Jordan Pacheco followed with a sharp liner up the middle that second baseman Donovan Solano snagged, but his throw to first in an attempt to double off Wheeler skipped past first baseman Morrison, allowing Arenado to score while Wheeler advanced to third after the ball trickled out of play.
The miscue proved even more costly when Jonathan Herrera followed with a sacrifice fly to right to score Wheeler for a 3-0 lead.
"We're not a team that's equipped to make a lot of mistakes, and when we do make mistakes they usually come back to haunt us and you saw that again today," Marlins manager Mike Redmond said. "That's why we came away with three wins on this homestand."
Ruggiano's two-out blast in the home half got Miami on the board before the Marlins tacked on two more runs in the fourth to tie the game.
Giancarlo Stanton started the frame with a double, moved to third on a passed ball, and scored on Morrison's line-drive single to center to make it 3-2.
After Ed Lucas walked, Ruggiano ripped a single to center to score Morrison from second and tie the game at 3-3.
De La Rosa then walked Adeiny Hechavarria to load the bases, but escaped further damage by getting Koyie Hill to ground into a 5-2-3 double play before fanning Turner to end the frame.
The Rockies regained control in the sixth when Cuddyer stroked a two-out single and came around to score on Arenado's double into the left-field corner to give Colorado a 4-3 edge.
Colorado's bullpen took things from there, as five Rockies reliever combined to hold Miami hitless over the final four frames to secure the victory.
"Great job by the bullpen," Colorado manager Walt Weiss said. "It was a tough win, but it's a really big win. It's nice to see our guys fight like this at the end of a road trip when we're going home."
Cuddyer extended his hit streak to nine games with a single in the sixth ... Turner hasn't won since July 10 against Atlanta, spanning eight starts ... De La Rosa improved to 7-0 in day games this season and is 6-1 over his last nine starts overall ... The Rockies have registered an extra-base hit in 17 consecutive games ... Miami finished 2-for-13 with runners in scoring position and left 11 men on base.
- COLORADO: 4
Aug 25 4:27 PM
- Nolan Arenado double to left scored Michael Cuddyer. Runner on second with two outs and Ryan Wheeler due up.
Rockies 4, Marlins 3 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 25 2:53 PM
- Justin Ruggiano single to center scored Logan Morrison. On the play, Ed Lucas advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Adeiny Hechavarria due up.
Rockies 3, Marlins 3 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 25 2:20 PM
- Logan Morrison single to center scored Giancarlo Stanton. Runner on first with none out and Ed Lucas due up.
Rockies 3, Marlins 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 25 2:15 PM
- Justin Ruggiano two-out, solo Home Run (15) to right. Adeiny Hechavarria due up.
Rockies 3, Marlins 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 25 1:41 PM
- Jonathan Herrera sacrifice fly out to right scored Ryan Wheeler. None on with two outs and Jorge De La Rosa due up.
Rockies 3, Marlins 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 25 1:34 PM
- Jordan Pacheco lin out to second scored Nolan Arenado. On the play, Ryan Wheeler advances to second on Donovan Solano's throwing error Nolan Arenado out at home. Runner on second with one out and Jonathan Herrera due up.
Rockies 2, Marlins 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 25 1:32 PM
- Ryan Wheeler single to left scored Michael Cuddyer. On the play, Nolan Arenado advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Jordan Pacheco due up.
Rockies 1, Marlins 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 25 1:29 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 25 1:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21