Cubs hold off DodgersAug 28, 2013 - 6:12 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Travis Wood worked seven strong innings to guide the Chicago Cubs to a 3-2 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the second of a three-game set at Chavez Ravine.
Wood (8-10) allowed one unearned run on five hits and two walks while striking out six to earn his first win of the month. The southpaw had dropped his last three decisions.
"To go out there and go seven innings against a team like that is huge. I was fortunate enough to get some quick outs. You have to be on top of your game against (Clayton) Kershaw. Pulling out a win like that was huge," Wood said.
Dioner Navarro went 2-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored against his former club and Starlin Castro added two hits and an RBI for the Cubs, who had dropped eight of their last 10 games entering the contest.
Navarro spent parts of three seasons with LA (2005-06, 2011).
Kevin Gregg put the tying-run on base in the ninth, but got rookie sensation Yasiel Puig to pop out to end the game. It was Gregg's 27th save of the season.
Clayton Kershaw (13-8) was pegged with the loss after giving up two runs -- one earned -- on seven hits while striking out nine over 5 2/3 innings.
"That wasn't what we've come to see from Clayton tonight. He wasn't as sharp as he has been," said Dodgers manager Don Mattingly. "Travis (Wood) stayed down the middle of the plate. We started to get to him, but we couldn't put him away."
Andre Ethier and Juan Uribe each drove in a run for the Dodgers, who have dropped three of their last four games, but remain 8 1/2 games ahead of the Arizona Diamondbacks atop the NL West standings.
The Cubs got on the board in the third inning. With runners on first and second and one out, Navarro laced a single to center field to bring Wood around.
LA wasted a bases-loaded chance in the fourth, and Chicago tacked on another run in the sixth. Cody Ransom singled and Darnell McDonald walked to put to two on with no outs. Kershaw fanned the next two hitters, but a wild pitch allowed Ransom to move to third. Castro singled through the hole on the left side to score Ransom.
The Dodgers moved within 2-1 in the home half. Hanley Ramirez led off with a base hit, moved to second Wood's throwing error on a pickoff attempt then scored on Uribe's single to right.
Brian Bogusevic's pinch-hit, double play groundout in the seventh plated Navarro to give Chicago an insurance run it would need as Los Angeles pulled within 3-2 in the eighth.
Ramirez reached on a one-out single and Mark Ellis was hit by a pitch to put two runners on for Ethier, who stroked an RBI single to center. The Dodgers had a chance to tie the game with Ellis on second and one out, but Pedro Strop got pinch-hitter Skip Schumaker to ground into an inning-ending double play.
Chicago beat Los Angeles for the first time this season ... The Cubs are 3-for-28 with runners in scoring position over their last three games ... Chicago outfielder Junior Lake went 0-for-4 and saw his nine-game hitting streak end ... The Dodgers fell to 20-6 in August ... The Dodgers need one more win in August to tie the Los Angeles record for most wins in a calendar month. The franchise record is 25, set by the 1947 and 1953 Brooklyn Dodgers.
- CHICAGO: 3
LOS ANGELES: 2
Aug 28 1:37 AM
- Andre Ethier single to center scored Hanley Ramirez with one out. On the play, Mark Ellis advances to second. Runners on first and second and Ronald Belisario due up.
Cubs 3, Dodgers 2 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 28 1:07 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Brian Bogusevic grounded into a double play, short to second to first scored Dioner Navarro with two out. On the play, Junior Lake out at second. Donnie Murphy advances to third. Runner on third and Darnell McDonald due up.
Cubs 3, Dodgers 1 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 28 12:42 AM
- Juan Uribe single to right scored Hanley Ramirez with two out. Runner on first and A.J. Ellis due up.
Cubs 2, Dodgers 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 28 12:26 AM
- Starlin Castro single to left scored Cody Ransom with two out. On the play, Darnell McDonald advances to second. Runners on first and second and Darwin Barney due up.
Cubs 2, Dodgers 0 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 28 12:10 AM
- Dioner Navarro single to center scored Travis Wood with one out. On the play, Darwin Barney advances to third. Runners on first and third and Donnie Murphy due up.
Cubs 1, Dodgers 0 Top 3, 1 OutAug 27 11:02 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 27 10:11 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22