Hill lifts D'backs in wild affair with PadresAug 28, 2013 - 6:51 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Aaron Hill's single to left scored Adam Eaton to give the Arizona Diamondbacks a wild 10-9 win in 10 innings over the San Diego Padres.
In a game that featured multiple lead changes, outstanding defensive plays and 26 hits, Arizona again capitalized with late-game heroics to win for the 11th time in walk-off fashion this season.
The Diamondbacks, who moved to 15-5 in extra innings, pulled within five games of Cincinnati for the second wild card spot. They are 8 1/2 games behind the first-place Los Angeles Dodgers in the NL West.
Eaton singled off Dale Thayer (2-4) to start the home 10th. Paul Goldschmidt also singled. Martin Prado, who made a game-saving grab in the ninth inning, put runners at the corners after a fly out. After Goldschmidt was given second base, the Padres put five men in the infield, but Hill hit a line drive to deep left field to win the game.
The game also saw blown saves from Will Harris and Brad Ziegler on the Arizona side. Heath Bell (5-2) retired the side in order in the top of the 10th.
Gerardo Parra homered and knocked in a career-high five runs. Prado had three RBI and Eaton went 3-for-5, as the Diamondbacks won for the third time in four games.
They've played extra innings five times in their last 14 games. That includes wins each time, including 18-inning and 16-inning contests.
"We made a lot of mistakes. Our bullpen obviously had trouble. You're seeing some residual effects of the extra-inning games. We got through it," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said.
Ronny Cedeno knocked in three runs and Jedd Gyorko had two RBI for San Diego, which is in danger of being swept in this three-game set.
"That was a game that had a lot of direction both ways," Padres manager Bud Black said.
Lost in the shuffle of the dramatic ending was Ian Kennedy's return to Arizona. Kennedy, who faced his former team for the first time since he was dealt to the Padres at the non-waiver trade deadline last month, allowed six hits, five walks and six runs over 4 1/3 innings.
David Holmberg lasted 3 2/3 innings in his MLB debut for the Diamondbacks, who were coasting with a 7-3 lead entering the eighth. Cedeno had a two-run double, and Mark Kotsay and Gyorko added RBI base hits to tie the game.
Prado delivered the tie-breaking two-run double in the bottom of the eighth inning.
The Padres tied the game in the ninth against Ziegler. Nick Hundley's single plated Yonder Alonso. With men at the corners, Cedeno executed a perfectly- placed bunt to the first-base side of the mound. Goldschmidt hesitated, and the infield hit tied the game.
San Diego would have taken the lead later in the ninth if not for Prado. With the bases loaded, Gyorko sent a line drive destined for the left field corner, but Prado made a leaping grab to rob an extra-base hit.
The Diamondbacks had a chance to win the game in the bottom of the ninth when Luke Gregerson threw a pitch into the dirt. The ball didn't go far, though, and Cliff Pennington was tagged out in a run down towards the plate to send the game to the 10th.
Gyorko had an RBI single during a three-run opening inning, but the Diamondbacks tied it in the second on Parra's 10th homer of the year.
Josh Collmenter escaped a bases-loaded jam in the top of the fourth, and Arizona went ahead in the fifth on Goldschmidt's RBI ground-rule double. Parra's two-run single later in the frame made it 6-3.
Prado walked with the bases loaded in the sixth to create the four-run margin.
Prado upped his season RBI total to 71, which is a career-high. He also has 30 RBI this month. Equally as impressive, he's 15-for-30 with 24 runs batted in with runners in scoring position ... Padres third baseman Chase Headley left the game due to back stiffness ... The Diamondbacks have won their last five games when a starter makes his MLB debut ... Arizona has a five-game winning streak at Chase Field and has won eight of its last 10 at home ... The Diamondbacks opened a roster spot for Holmberg by designating outfielder Jason Kubel for assignment.
- SAN DIEGO: 9
Aug 28 2:10 AM
- Aaron Hill single to left scored Adam Eaton with one out to end the game.
Padres 9, Diamondbacks 10 Bot 10, 1 OutAug 28 2:06 AM
- Ronny Cedeno bunt single to first scored Jesus Guzman with none out. On the play, Nick Hundley advances to second. Runners on first and second and Mark Kotsay due up.
Padres 9, Diamondbacks 9 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 28 1:22 AM
- Nick Hundley single to left scored Yonder Alonso with none out. On the play, Jesus Guzman advances to third. Runners on first and third and Ronny Cedeno due up.
Padres 8, Diamondbacks 9 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 28 1:21 AM
- Martin Prado double to left scored Tony Campana and Paul Goldschmidt with one out. Runner on second and Aaron Hill due up.
Padres 7, Diamondbacks 9 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 28 1:10 AM
- Jedd Gyorko single to center scored Mark Kotsay with two out. On the play, Will Venable advances to second. Runners on first and second and Tim Stauffer due up.
Padres 7, Diamondbacks 7 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 28 12:59 AM
- Mark Kotsay single to left scored Ronny Cedeno with one out. Runner on first and Chris Denorfia due up.
Padres 6, Diamondbacks 7 Top 8, 1 OutAug 28 12:51 AM
- Ronny Cedeno double to left scored Yonder Alonso and Jesus Guzman with one out. Runner on second and Mark Kotsay due up.
Padres 5, Diamondbacks 7 Top 8, 1 OutAug 28 12:47 AM
- Martin Prado walk scored Josh Collmenter with one out. Bases loaded and Aaron Hill due up.
Padres 3, Diamondbacks 7 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 28 12:12 AM
- Gerardo Parra single to center scored Paul Goldschmidt and Martin Prado with one out. On the play, Aaron Hill advances to second. Runners on first and second and Miguel Montero due up.
Padres 3, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 27 11:43 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt ground-rule double to right scored Adam Eaton with one out. Runner on second and Martin Prado due up.
Padres 3, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 27 11:35 PM
- Gerardo Parra none-out, three-run Home Run (10) to right scored Martin Prado and Aaron Hill. Miguel Montero due up.
Padres 3, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 27 10:22 PM
- Nick Hundley sacrifice fly to center scored Jedd Gyorko with two out. Runners on first and second and Ronny Cedeno due up.
Padres 3, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 27 9:56 PM
- Chase Headley single to left scored Will Venable with none out. On the play, Jedd Gyorko advances to second. Runners on first and second and Yonder Alonso due up.
Padres 2, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 27 9:50 PM
- Jedd Gyorko single to center scored Chris Denorfia with none out. On the play, Will Venable advances to third. Runners on first and third and Chase Headley due up.
Padres 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 27 9:47 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 27 9:40 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21