Desmond, Nationals edge MarlinsAug 29, 2013 - 3:53 AM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Ian Desmond's go-ahead RBI single in the seventh inning lifted the Washington Nationals to a 4-3 win over the Miami Marlins in the middle test of a three-game set.
Washington starter Stephen Strasburg tossed two scoreless innings before being replaced by Craig Stammen following a 72-minute rain delay.
"We'll see how he is tomorrow or the next day, but he could come back Sunday," Nats manager Davey Johnson said of Strasburg.
Jayson Werth smacked a solo homer for Washington, which has won seven of its last eight games. Drew Storen (4-2) tossed a scoreless seventh to pick up the win and Rafael Soriano fired a 1-2-3 ninth to earn his 35th save of the year.
Jeff Mathis and Giancarlo Stanton cracked solo shots for the Marlins, who have dropped seven of their last eight contests.
The Marlins led 3-2 after plating a pair in the top of the sixth, but the Nationals answered with a run in the home half and pushed across another in the seventh to take the lead.
Werth led off the sixth with a blast to center to tie it.
Denard Span walked against Mike Dunn (3-4) to begin the seventh before Ryan Zimmerman walked. Span moved to second when Dunn's pickoff throw got past Logan Morrison at first.
Bryce Harper struck out and Werth was intentionally walked to bring up Desmond, who pulled a base hit into left to bring home Span for a 4-3 margin.
Earlier, a pair of one-out doubles by Steve Lombardozzi and Harper in the second and third innings, respectively, staked Washington to a 2-0 lead, but the Marlins plated a run in the fifth and two more in the sixth to go ahead.
Mathis' leadoff shot in the fifth got Washington on the board and Stanton's drive to center to begin the sixth tied it. Morrison and Donovan Solano proceeded to hit back-to-back singles to put runners on the corners, but Morrison was thrown out at the plate on Adeiny Hechavarria's grounder to third. Mathis, though, stepped up next and singled to left-center to plate Solano and make it 3-2.
Werth has 20 homers and 60 RBI this season ... The Nationals were 1-for-12 with runners in scoring, while Miami finished 2-for-11 with RISP.
- MIAMI: 3
Aug 28 11:19 PM
- Ian Desmond singled to left scored Denard Span. On the play, Jayson Werth advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Adam LaRoche due up.
Marlins 3, Nationals 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 28 10:50 PM
- Jayson Werth lead-off Home Run (20) to center. Ian Desmond due up.
Marlins 3, Nationals 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 28 10:04 PM
- Jeff Mathis singled to left scored Donovan Solano. On the play, Adeiny Hechavarria advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Ryan Webb due up.
Marlins 3, Nationals 2 Top 6, 1 OutAug 28 9:57 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton lead-off Home Run (17) to center. Logan Morrison due up.
Marlins 2, Nationals 2 Top 6, 0 OutsAug 28 9:48 PM
- Jeff Mathis lead-off Home Run (4) to center. Ryan Webb due up.
Marlins 1, Nationals 2 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 28 9:28 PM
- Bryce Harper doubled to left scored Ryan Zimmerman. Runner on second with one out and Jayson Werth due up.
Marlins 0, Nationals 2 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 28 9:08 PM
- Steve Lombardozzi doubled to left scored Ian Desmond. Runner on second with two outs and Stephen Strasburg due up.
Marlins 0, Nationals 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 28 7:38 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 28 7:08 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Marlins' Yelich scratched from lineup because of back spasms May 21
- Auction site says it's selling Bryce Harper fight jersey May 21