Byrd homers in winning debut for PiratesAug 29, 2013 - 5:04 AM Pittsburgh, PA (Sports Network) - Marlon Byrd belted a three-run homer in his first appearance with his new club, as the Pittsburgh Pirates snapped a three- game losing streak with a 7-1 win over the Milwaukee Brewers.
Byrd, acquired Tuesday along with John Buck from the New York Mets, went 1-for-4 with a pair of strikeouts in his debut but lifted the Pirates in his final at-bat with his 22nd home run of the season.
Gaby Sanchez and Josh Harrison picked up three hits and an RBI apiece behind Charlie Morton (6-3), who was terrific in 6 2/3 innings, allowing just an unearned run on five hits.
"You see confidence, you see really good tempo and rhythm on the mound," said Pittsburgh manager Clint Hurdle about Morton. "His complete arsenal of pitches has been in play and he's been really consistent."
Tom Gorzelanny (3-6) lasted 5 1/3 innings in defeat after surrendering four runs on nine hits.
"We didn't pitch that well," said Milwaukee manager Ron Roenicke. "Offensively, we hit some balls hard that were caught that could have got some things going for us."
The Pirates put a run across in the first inning as Harrison led off with a single to center and scored two batters later when Andrew McCutchen lined an RBI single to left. Gorzelanny got himself out of the jam when he snagged Byrd's liner back to the mound and doubled off McCutchen.
Sanchez's two-out single to right in the fourth plated McCutchen for Pittsburgh's second run.
The Pirates doubled their lead with two more in the fifth. Jose Tabata started things off with a triple to the wall in right. Harrison knocked him in with a single to center and Jordy Mercer ripped a two-bagger to right to score Harrison.
Milwaukee's lone run came in the seventh, aided by catcher Russell Martin's throwing error. Scooter Gennett singled with one out and advanced to second on a Juan Francisco walk. Gennett then reached third when Yuniesky Betancourt grounded into a fielder's choice and scored when Martin tried to pick Betancourt off at first base.
The throwing error was the first Pirates' miscue since the thing inning on Aug. 20 against San Diego.
Byrd's three-run shot to center field put the Pirates ahead 7-1 and earned a curtain call from his new fans in Pittsburgh.
Milwaukee threatened in the eighth inning off reliever Vin Mazzaro, but the right-hander settled down and forced Gennett and Francisco to pop up with the bases loaded.
McCutchen now has nine multi-hit games over his last 11 at home ... Milwaukee hit 1-for-8 with runners in scoring position and left 10 men on base while the Pirates went 5-for-14 with RISP, only leaving six on ... Gorzelanny threw 72 of his 99 pitches for strikes.
- MILWAUKEE: 1
Aug 28 10:04 PM
- Marlon Byrd one-out, three-run Home Run (22) to right center scored Josh Harrison and Jordy Mercer. Pedro Alvarez due up.
Brewers 1, Pirates 7 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 28 9:29 PM
- Scooter Gennett scored on Russell Martin's throwing error with two out. On the play, Yuniesky Betancourt advanced to third. Runner on first and Norichika Aoki at the plate.
Brewers 1, Pirates 4 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 28 9:16 PM
- Jordy Mercer double to right scored Josh Harrison with one out. Runner on second and Andrew McCutchen due up.
Brewers 0, Pirates 4 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 28 8:39 PM
- Josh Harrison single to left scored Jose Tabata with one out. Runner on first and Jordy Mercer due up.
Brewers 0, Pirates 3 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 28 8:38 PM
- Gaby Sanchez single to right scored Andrew McCutchen with two out. Runner on first and Russell Martin due up.
Brewers 0, Pirates 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 28 8:22 PM
- Andrew McCutchen single to left scored Josh Harrison with none out. On the play, Jordy Mercer advances to second. Runners on first and second with Marlon Byrd due up.
Brewers 0, Pirates 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 28 7:25 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 28 7:06 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21