Gallardo, Brewers blank PiratesAug 30, 2013 - 5:40 AM Pittsburgh, PA (Sports Network) - Yovani Gallardo tossed seven scoreless innings to help the Milwaukee Brewers take two of three from the Pittsburgh Pirates with a 4-0 win from PNC Park.
Gallardo (10-9) needed 93 pitches to get through his start of six-hit ball. The right-hander also struck out five to improve to 11-4 lifetime against the Pirates.
"The main thing is to focus on throwing the ball down," Gallardo said. "If you throw the ball down, they're going to hit ground balls."
Scooter Gennett had three hits and scored a run, while Aramis Ramirez went deep for the second time this series. Carlos Gomez added two hits and Jonathan Lucroy drove in a pair.
Gerrit Cole (6-7) pitched into the eighth inning for the first time in his career, allowing four runs -- three earned -- on 10 hits. The 22-year old right-hander struck out four and walked a batter in 7 1/3 innings.
"We played really good defense ... to keep them from putting up crooked numbers," Cole said. "I'm just glad we were able to be there and minimize as much as we could."
The Pirates, who lost for the fourth time in five contests, sit a game behind the idle St. Louis Cardinals for the National League Central division lead. Pittsburgh hosts the Cardinals for three games this weekend.
Lucroy muscled a pitch to right field in the first inning, plating Jean Segura, as Milwaukee broke through with a first-inning run for just the second time in its last 30 games.
Milwaukee added its second run an inning later when Khris Davis swung with a 3-0 count and smacked a double off the wall in right field. Gomez, who led off the frame with a single up the middle before stealing second, scored without a throw.
Ramirez belted his ninth homer of the year off Cole in the top of the fourth, a shot to right-center.
Gennett and Segura sprayed consecutive singles to put runners on the corners with one away in the eighth inning, chasing Cole from the contest. Lucroy came to the plate to face Bryan Morris and drove in Gennett with a sac fly to center.
Brandon Kintzler took over for Gallardo in the eighth and pitched the final two innings.
John Buck, acquired along with Marlon Byrd from the Mets earlier this week, went 3-for-3 in his Pirates debut ... The Brewers are 4-2 in their last six games ... Milwaukee grounded into four double plays.
- MILWAUKEE: 4
Aug 29 9:49 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy sacrifice fly to center scored Scooter Gennett with two outs. Runner on second and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Brewers 4, Pirates 0 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 29 9:26 PM
- Aramis Ramirez lead-off Home Run (9) to right center. Carlos Gomez due up.
Brewers 3, Pirates 0 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 29 8:09 PM
- Khris Davis double to right scored Carlos Gomez with none out. Runner on second and Caleb Gindl due up.
Brewers 2, Pirates 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 29 7:28 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy single to right scored Jean Segura with one out. Runner on first and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Brewers 1, Pirates 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 29 7:14 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 29 7:08 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21