Gonzalez, Dodgers rout PadresAug 31, 2013 - 5:52 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Adrian Gonzalez smacked a pair of two run homers as the Los Angeles Dodgers cruised to a 9-2 victory over the San Diego Padres.
Hanley Ramirez had two doubles, two RBI and a pair of runs scored, while Yasiel Puig finished 4-for-5 with an RBI for the Dodgers, winners in three of their last four games.
Hyun-Jin Ryu (13-5) allowed just one run on eight hits while fanning six over 6 1/3 innings to snap a two-start losing skid.
"He was really good," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said of Ryu. "He came out with a purpose."
Edinson Volquez, who was signed to a one-year deal earlier on Friday, made his LA debut. He gave up just one hit in one inning of relief. Volquez spent the past two seasons with the Padres before he was released on Aug. 27.
With the win and an Arizona loss, the Dodgers extended their lead atop the NL West to 10 1/2 games.
Logan Forsythe and Chris Denorfia drove in one run apiece for San Diego, losers in three of their last four.
Eric Stults (8-12) was pegged with the loss after giving up four runs on eight hits over 5 1/3 innings.
"Stults threw the ball better than his line indicated tonight," San Diego manager Bud Black said of his starter.
San Diego jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the first inning. Jesus Guzman singled and scored on Forsythe's double to center field.
It would be all Los Angeles from there, however.
With one on an two outs in the bottom of the second, Ryu ripped a double to left field to score Mark Ellis. Puig followed with a base hit of his own to plate Ryu and give the Dodgers a 2-1 edge.
Ramirez opened the third with a double and Gonzalez followed with his first homer of the game, a towering shot to left-center field.
The Dodgers plated five runs in the seventh to break the game open. Puig singled and Crawford walked to open the frame. Ramirez then smacked a bases- clearing double to left field. Gonzalez followed with his second long ball of the night and A.J. Ellis capped the inning with a solo shot to center to make it 9-1.
Denorfia singled home Alexi Amarista in the ninth to account for the final difference.
The Dodgers tied a club record for most win in a calendar month with 22 ... With the win, Los Angeles secured its eighth straight winning season ... Ryu is 6-2 over his last nine starts ... The Dodgers went 5-for-13 with runners in scoring position ... The Padres went 2-for-12 with RISP ... Stults is 3-9 on the road this season.
- SAN DIEGO: 2
LOS ANGELES: 9
Aug 31 1:17 AM
- Chris Denorfia singled to center scored Alexi Amarista. Runner on first with two outs and Will Venable due up.
Padres 2, Dodgers 9 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 31 1:16 AM
- A.J. Ellis none out, solo Home Run (7) to center. Andre Ethier due up. NOTE: The Home Runs were hit back-to-back.
Padres 1, Dodgers 9 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 31 12:39 AM
- Adrian Gonzalez none-out, two-run Home Run 2 (19) to right scored Hanley Ramirez. A.J. Ellis due up.
Padres 1, Dodgers 8 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 31 12:37 AM
- Hanley Ramirez doubled to left scored Yasiel Puig and Carl Crawford. Runner on second with none out and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Padres 1, Dodgers 6 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 31 12:36 AM
- Adrian Gonzalez none-out, two-run Home Run (18) to left center scored Hanley Ramirez. A.J. Ellis due up.
Padres 1, Dodgers 4 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 30 11:10 PM
- Yasiel Puig singled to left scored Hyun-Jin Ryu. Runner on second with two outs as Puig advanced to second on the throw home and Carl Crawford due up.
Padres 1, Dodgers 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 30 10:52 PM
- Hyun-Jin Ryu doubled to left scored Mark Ellis. Runner on second with two outs and Yasiel Puig due up.
Padres 1, Dodgers 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 30 10:49 PM
- Logan Forsythe doubled to left center scored Jesus Guzman. Runner on second with one out and Nick Hundley due up.
Padres 1, Dodgers 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 30 10:35 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 30 10:13 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 21