Ellis, Dodgers edge PadresSep 1, 2013 - 4:52 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Mark Ellis plated Skip Schumaker with two outs in the eighth inning to lift the Los Angeles Dodgers to a 2-1 win over the San Diego Padres to take the first two tilts of this three-game set.
After Adrian Gonzalez tied the score at 1-1 in the bottom of the seventh inning, the Dodgers came back with another run in the eighth off Nick Vincent (3-2).
Schumaker led off with a double to left and moved up to third when Tim Federowicz laid down a sacrifice bunt. Ellis, pinch-hitting for Brian Wilson (1-0) singled up the middle to drive in the game-winning run.
Wilson tossed one scoreless inning in relief of Chris Capuano, who struck out seven and allowed a run on eight hits over seven innings. The decision was Wilson's first since he picked up a loss against Atlanta on Aug. 15 as a member of the Giants.
"Cap was great," said manager Don Mattingly. "He pitched so well and kept us in the game."
Kenley Jansen struck out the side to earn his 23rd save of the 2013 campaign.
Andrew Cashner started for San Diego and surrendered just a run on 10 hits while striking out seven. Cashner has allowed just two runs over his last 21 innings.
"Cashner is a great pitcher and Cappy matched him pitch for pitch," said Gonzalez. "We won tonight because of our pitching and defense."
Ronny Cedeno plated the Padres' lone run with a solo home run in the fourth inning, his first of the season.
Cashner kept LA off the scoreboard through six innings but lost his shutout with one gone in the seventh. Jerry Hairston Jr. started the rally with an infield single to second. Carl Crawford followed with a single into left and after Yasiel Puig struck out, Gonzalez drove in the game-tying run with a drive to center.
Jansen now has 98 strikeouts against 12 walks on the year ... The Dodgers improve to 16-1-4 in their last 21 series' and 33-8 since the all-star break ... LA's 23-6 record in the month of August is the team's best single-month mark since moving to Los Angeles from Brooklyn ... Jedd Gyorko had three hits for the Padres.
- SAN DIEGO: 1
LOS ANGELES: 2
Sep 1 12:06 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Mark Ellis singled to center scoring Skip Schumaker with one out. Runner on first with one out and Carl Crawford due up.
Padres 1, Dodgers 2 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 31 11:50 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez singled to center scoring Jerry Hairston with one out. On the play, Carl Crawford advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Padres 1, Dodgers 1 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 31 11:27 PM
- Ronny Cedeno two-out, solo Home Run (1) to right center. Rene Rivera due up.
Padres 1, Dodgers 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 31 10:13 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 31 9:12 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 21