Cuddyer leads Rockies past RedsSep 2, 2013 - 2:34 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Michael Cuddyer finished 4-for-4 with two doubles, a solo homer and three RBI, and Todd Helton collected his 2,500th career hit, as the Colorado Rockies downed the Cincinnati Reds, 7-4, Sunday in the rubber match of a three-game set at Coors Field.
Nolan Arenado added a solo shot and two RBI, while DJ LeMahieu registered two hits, two RBI and a run scored for the Rockies, who have won five of their last seven games.
Adam Ottavino (1-2) earned the victory after spinning three scoreless innings in relief of starter Tyler Chatwood, who gave up two runs on four hits and three walks over two-plus innings before exiting with a bruised right thumb.
Shin Soo-Choo smacked a two-run homer among his three hits for the Reds, who wrapped up a six-game road trip at 2-4.
Mike Leake (11-6) had a forgettable outing, giving up six runs on eight hits and two walks over 4 1/3 frames to absorb the loss.
Cuddyer clubbed a two-out, run-scoring double in the first to get the Rockies on the board before Arenado led off the second with his 10th homer of the season to make it 2-0.
The Reds responded with a pair of runs in the third, as Leake led off with a sharp single up the middle that deflected off the pitching hand of Chatwood.
Chatwood, who was activated from the 15-day disabled list prior to the game due to right elbow inflammation, wasn't the same after the deflection, as Choo followed with a drive over the right-field wall to knot the game at 2-2.
After back-to-back walks ended Chatwood's outing, Ottavino entered and popped out Jay Bruce before inducing a fielder's choice groundout from Devin Mesoraco.
Chris Heisey then legged out an infield single to keep the frame alive, but Joey Votto tried to score from second on the play and was thrown out at the plate by Helton to end the inning.
"We had a bunch of guys on base, but couldn't seem to get those big hits," Heisey said.
Colorado pulled ahead for good with a four-run fifth, as LeMahieu followed consecutive singles from pinch-hitter Jordan Pacheco and Corey Dickerson with a two-run double to right to make it 4-2.
After Troy Tulowitzki walked, Cuddyer stroked a double to left to score LeMahieu and end Leake's outing, as Alfredo Simon entered from the bullpen and walked Helton.
Arenado followed with a sacrifice fly to left to make it 6-2.
Cuddyer led off the seventh with his 18th homer of the year and Helton followed with a double down the left-field line for his 2,500th career hit.
"It was mostly relief, but I was excited," Helton said of reaching 2,500 hits for his career. "It's a big number. I'm very proud of it."
The Reds got the run back in the eighth on Zack Cozart's one-out RBI single and added another run in the ninth on Mesoraco's two-out run-scoring single, but Rex Brothers fanned Derrick Robinson to end the game.
Helton's double was the 584th of his career, moving him past Robin Yount for 17th place on the all-time doubles list ... Prior to the game, Colorado recalled infielder Josh Rutledge from Triple-A Colorado Springs ... Leake hadn't lost since Aug. 4 against St. Louis ... Cincinnati finished 4-for-17 with runners in scoring position and left 11 men on base.
- CINCINNATI: 4
Sep 1 7:41 PM
- Devin Mesoraco singled to center scoring Brandon Phillips with two out. Runner on first and Derrick Robinson due up.
Reds 4, Rockies 7 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 1 7:38 PM
- Zack Cozart singled to right scoring Devin Mesoraco with one out. On the play, Jack Hannahan advances to second. Runners on first and second and Curtis Partch due up.
Reds 3, Rockies 7 Top 8, 1 OutSep 1 7:18 PM
- Michael Cuddyer lead-off Home Run (18) to left. Todd Helton due up.
Reds 2, Rockies 7 Bot 7, 0 OutsSep 1 6:52 PM
- Nolan Arenado sacrifice fly to left scored Troy Tulowitzki with two out. Runners on first and second and Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Reds 2, Rockies 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 1 6:02 PM
- Michael Cuddyer doubled to left scoring DJ LeMahieu with one out. On the play, Troy Tulowitzki advances to third. Runners on second and third and Todd Helton due up.
Reds 2, Rockies 5 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 1 5:56 PM
- DJ LeMahieu doubled to right scoring Jordan Pacheco and Corey Dickerson with one out. Runner on second and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Reds 2, Rockies 4 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 1 5:51 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo none-out, two-run Home Run (18) to right scored Mike Leake. Brandon Phillips due up.
Reds 2, Rockies 2 Top 3, 0 OutsSep 1 4:52 PM
- Nolan Arenado lead-off Home Run (10) to left. Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Reds 0, Rockies 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsSep 1 4:39 PM
- Michael Cuddyer doubled to left scoring Corey Dickerson with two out. Runner on second and Todd Helton due up.
Reds 0, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 1 4:30 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 1 4:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21