Dodgers outslug RockiesSep 3, 2013 - 3:36 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - The Los Angeles Dodgers overcame a subpar performance from Clayton Kershaw to survive a 10-8 slugfest against the Colorado Rockies in the opener of a three-game set at Coors Field.
The Dodgers left-hander was very un-Kershaw-like, allowing five runs and a career-high 11 hits over a five-inning start.
"It happens and hopefully I get these runs out of the way before it counts," Kershaw said.
Andre Ethier clubbed a two-run homer and finished with three RBI for NL West- leading Los Angeles, which has won five games in a row.
Chad Bettis started for the Rockies and gave up five runs on eight hits and walked four in 4 2/3 innings.
"I wasn't efficient as I would've like today," Bettis said.
The Dodgers broke a 5-5 tie in the sixth, which began with an error by Colorado third baseman Nolan Arenado. Yasiel Puig reached when Arenado's throw pulled Jordan Pacheco off the bag at first. and Puig then sufferd a mild right knee strain sliding into third on an Adrian Gonzalez single.
Puig remained in the game and scored the go-ahead run on Hanley Ramirez's sacrifice fly, but he was replaced in right field by Skip Schumaker in the bottom of the inning.
Ethier followed Ramirez with the blast to right.
The Rockies looked for a quick response in the home half of the sixth, greeting reliever Brandon League with consecutive hits to put men on the corners. League bounced back to shut down the threat, retiring DJ LeMahieu on a fly ball to right and getting Michael Cuddyer to ground into an inning- ending double play.
Colorado was able to trim the deficit to 8-7 against Ronald Belisario in the eighth, but Cuddyer bounced into another twin killing to thwart the rally.
Juan Uribe and Carl Crawford each plated a run in the ninth to provide insurance for Kenley Jansen, who earned his 25th save despite allowing a leadoff homer to Wilin Rosario.
The Rockies outhit the Dodgers, 18-15.
Both starting pitchers labored through the first inning.
Crawford walked to begin the game and went to third on a single by Puig, who was called out on interference after colliding with the second baseman LeMahieu as he was attempting to field a Gonzalez chopper.
After Ramirez walked to load the bases, Pacheco tried to initiate a double play, but his throw to second hit Ramirez and Crawford scored on the error. Bettis retired the next two batters to avoid further damage.
Kershaw's (14-8) outing also began with a walk, and a LeMahieu single put men on the corners with no outs. Cuddyer and Rosario then each plated a run with consecutive base hits before a third first-inning run scored when Arenado grounded into a double play.
The Dodgers got a run back in the third, then moved ahead two innings later. Ethier hit a one-out double and A.J. Ellis drew a two-out walk before Uribe chased Bettis by knocking in the tying run with a single.
Jeff Manship (0-5) took over on the mound and promptly gave up a two-run single to Kershaw, who failed to protect the 5-3 lead as Arenado and Pacheco each drove in a run in the bottom of the fifth.
The Rockies were 8-for-20 with runners in scoring position, while Los Angeles finished 6-for-17 ... Ethier, Uribe and Colorado's Charlie Blackmon each had three hits.
- LOS ANGELES: 10
Sep 2 7:48 PM
- Wilin Rosario lead-off Home Run (21) to right. Nolan Arenado due up.
Dodgers 10, Rockies 8 Bot 9, 0 OutsSep 2 7:39 PM
- Carl Crawford ground-rule double to center scored A.J. Ellis with two out. On the play, Juan Uribe advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Skip Schumaker due up.
Dodgers 10, Rockies 7 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 2 7:34 PM
- Juan Uribe single to center scored Mark Ellis with one out. On the play, A.J. Ellis advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Ronald Belisario due up.
Dodgers 9, Rockies 7 Top 9, 1 OutSep 2 7:30 PM
- Josh Rutledge single to center scored Tyler Chatwood with one out. Runner on first with one out and DJ LeMahieu due up.
Dodgers 8, Rockies 7 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 2 7:16 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Corey Dickerson double to right scored Charlie Blackmon with one out. Runner on second with one out and Josh Rutledge due up.
Dodgers 8, Rockies 6 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 2 7:15 PM
- Andre Ethier one-out, two-run Home Run (11) to right scored Adrian Gonzalez. Mark Ellis due up.
Dodgers 8, Rockies 5 Top 6, 1 OutSep 2 6:27 PM
- Hanley Ramirez sacrifice fly to center scored Yasiel Puig with one out. Runner on first with one out and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 6, Rockies 5 Top 6, 1 OutSep 2 6:25 PM
- Jordan Pacheco single to center scored Nolan Arenado with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Charlie Blackmon due up.
Dodgers 5, Rockies 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 2 6:15 PM
- Nolan Arenado double to left center scored Michael Cuddyer with one out. Runner on second with one out and Charlie Culberson due up.
Dodgers 5, Rockies 4 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 2 6:13 PM
- Clayton Kershaw single to center scored A.J. Ellis and Juan Uribe with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Carl Crawford due up.
Dodgers 5, Rockies 3 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 2 6:05 PM
- Juan Uribe single to right scored Andre Ethier with two out. On the play, A.J. Ellis advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Clayton Kershaw due up.
Dodgers 3, Rockies 3 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 2 6:01 PM
- A.J. Ellis single to right center scored Andre Ethier with two out. On the play, Mark Ellis advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Juan Uribe due up.
Dodgers 2, Rockies 3 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 2 5:15 PM
- Nolan Arenado double play groundout to short scored Michael Cuddyer. Wilin Rosario out at second. None on with two outs and Charlie Culberson due up.
Dodgers 1, Rockies 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 2 4:41 PM
- Wilin Rosario single to center scored DJ LeMahieu with none out. On the play, Michael Cuddyer advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Nolan Arenado due up.
Dodgers 1, Rockies 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsSep 2 4:40 PM
- Michael Cuddyer infield single to third scored Josh Rutledge with none out. On the play, DJ LeMahieu advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Wilin Rosario due up.
Dodgers 1, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsSep 2 4:38 PM
- Jordan Pacheco throwing error scored Carl Crawford with one out. On the play, Hanley Ramirez advances to second and Adrian Gonzalez advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Mark Ellis due up.
Dodgers 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 2 4:24 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 2 4:10 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22