Marlins down CubsSep 4, 2013 - 5:56 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Christian Yelich and Donovan Solano each drove in two and finished with three hits, as the Miami Marlins nabbed a third straight win by defeating the Chicago Cubs, 6-2, on Saturday.
Giancarlo Stanton and Justin Ruggiano each plated a run as well and Miami's bullpen turned in 4 2/3 hitless innings of relief behind starter Tom Koehler to notch the team's first three-game win streak since July 31-Aug. 2.
Edwin Jackson (7-15) was tagged for three runs on seven hits over five frames to take the loss, his fourth in six starts.
"It has definitely been a disappointing season, but every lesson is a lesson learned," said Jackson. "Either you accept it or be complacent with it or you find ways to keep working hard and get ready to bounce back."
Despite falling behind 3-0 in the top of the frame, the Cubs had a chance to take control in the home fifth after Brian Bogusevic's leadoff homer and three walks by Koehler. However, they never managed another hit once the Miami starter was lifted.
Dan Jennings worked his way through the bases loaded situation, limiting the damage to an Anthony Rizzo sac fly that kept the Marlins ahead, 3-2. Ryan Webb (2-5) then threw two perfect frames before Mike Dunn and A.J. Ramos finished it off with a scoreless inning each.
Chris Coghlan, making his first big league start at third base, made a diving snag in the third with runners at the corners and two out to save a run, and the Marlins jumped ahead two innings later in the three-run fifth.
Koehler led off the frame with a single and three straight one-out hits made it 2-0, with Yelich's double and Stanton's single plating runs. Miami then tacked on another when Starlin Castro botched a Ruggiano ground ball.
After Chicago's rally fell short, the game remained a one-run game for two innings until Solano and Yelich broke it open in the eighth. With runners at the corners, Solano cleared the bags with a double and Yelich followed with an RBI single to make it 6-2.
"He's starting to the results of facing those lefties," said Marlins manager Mike Redmond about Yelich. "He's starting to get some hits now, but he gives us a great at-bat every time."
Koehler was charged with two runs on four hits and three walks ... Miami, the league's worst offense averaging 3.2 runs/game entering play on Tuesday, has scored at least four runs in each of its last four games ... The Cubs recalled pitchers Justin Grimm and Brooks Raley and catcher J.C. Boscan from Triple-A Iowa. They also selected the contract of pitcher Zach Rosscup, who made his major league debut by recording two outs in the sixth ... Miami recalled pitchers Brad Hand and Arquimedes Caminero and catcher Rob Brantly from Triple-A New Orleans, selected the contract of pitcher Brian Flynn from New Orleans and designated infielder Jordan Brown for assignment.
- MIAMI: 6
Sep 3 11:31 PM
- Christian Yelich single to left scored Donovan Solano. Runner on first with two outs and Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Marlins 6, Cubs 2 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 3 11:09 PM
- Donovan Solano double to right scored Jeff Mathis and Chris Coghlan. Runner on second with two outs and Christian Yelich due up.
Marlins 5, Cubs 2 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 3 11:05 PM
- Anthony Rizzo sacrifice fly out to right scored Welington Castillo. On the play, Junior Lake advances to third. Runners on first and third and with two outs and Nate Schierholtz due up.
Marlins 3, Cubs 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 3 10:06 PM
- Brian Bogusevic lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Welington Castillo due up.
Marlins 3, Cubs 1 Bot 5, 0 OutsSep 3 9:48 PM
- Justin Ruggiano reached first on Starlin Castro's fielding error scored Christian Yelich. On the play, Giancarlo Stanton advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Logan Morrison due up.
Marlins 3, Cubs 0 Top 5, 1 OutSep 3 9:41 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton single to left scored Donovan Solano. On the play, Christian Yelich advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Justin Ruggiano due up.
Marlins 2, Cubs 0 Top 5, 1 OutSep 3 9:38 PM
- Christian Yelich double to left center scored Tom Koehler. On the play, Donovan Solano advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Marlins 1, Cubs 0 Top 5, 1 OutSep 3 9:35 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 3 8:10 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21