Bloomquist helps Arizona down Toronto in 10 inningsSep 4, 2013 - 10:47 PM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Willie Bloomquist's RBI single in the 10th inning lifted the Arizona Diamondbacks to a 4-3 win over the Toronto Blue Jays to avoid a three-game sweep.
Eric Chavez and A.J. Pollock stroked back-to-back singles off Luis Perez (0-1) to put runners on the corners. Bloomquist then hit the game-winner off of Jeremy Jeffress to score pinch-runner Adam Eaton.
Will Harris (3-0) earned the win after tossing a scoreless 10th. Starter Randall Delgado allowed three runs on four hits while striking out six over seven innings.
Perez was charged with the loss after putting the first two runners on in the 10th.
The Blue Jays scored three runs in the first inning. Jose Reyes led off with a single then scored on Edwin Encarnacion's double to left field. After Brett Lawrie popped out, Rajai Davis slugged a two-run homer to left.
The D'backs pushed a pair of runs across in the second. Martin Prado reached on a fielding error then scored on Matt Davidson's double to left. Miguel Montero followed with a double to plate Davidson.
Arizona tied the game in the seventh. Davidson walked and Gerardo Parra singled to put runners on the corners for Chavez, who launched a sacrifice fly to right to score pinch-runner Tony Campana.
Moises Sierra delivered a perfect, one-hop throw to the plate, but Campana was able to slide across the plate just ahead of J.P. Arencibia's tag to knot things up.
Prado was named NL Player of the Month for August ... Delgado did not issue a walk ... Arizona was 2-for-7 with runners in scoring position ... The Diamondbacks sit 7 1/2 games out of the final NL Wild Card spot ... Earlier on Wednesday, the Blue Jays announced that outfielder Jose Bautista will not return this season due to a hip injury ... Toronto went 1-for-2 with RISP ... Blue Jays starter Mark Buehrle allowed three runs -- two earned -- on five hits over 6 1/3 innings.
- TORONTO: 3
Sep 4 6:28 PM
- Willie Bloomquist single to center scored Adam Eaton with one out to end the game.
Blue Jays 3, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 10, 1 OutSep 4 6:26 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Eric Chavez sacrifice fly to right scored Tony Campana with two out. Runner on first and A.J. Pollock due up.
Blue Jays 3, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 4 5:23 PM
- Miguel Montero double to right scored Matt Davidson with one out. Runner on second and Gerardo Parra due up.
Blue Jays 3, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 4 4:09 PM
- Matt Davidson double to left scored Martin Prado with one out. Runner on second and Miguel Montero due up.
Blue Jays 3, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 4 4:07 PM
- Rajai Davis two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to left scored Edwin Encarnacion. Moises Sierra due up.
Blue Jays 3, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 4 3:46 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion double to left scored Jose Reyes with one out. Runner on second and Brett Lawrie due up.
Blue Jays 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 4 3:44 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 4 3:40 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21
- Blue Jays-Twins Preview May 21