Brewers knock out Liriano early, pound PiratesSep 5, 2013 - 4:06 AM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - Khris Davis hit a two-run homer and the Milwaukee Brewers knocked out Francisco Liriano early en route to a 9-3 victory in the finale of a three-game series against the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Aramis Ramirez and Jeff Bianchi each knocked in two runs during the Brewers' 13-hit attack and Wily Peralta (9-14) allowed three runs on nine hits over six quality innings to collect the win and snap the club's five-game slide.
Marlon Byrd went 3-for-5 with an RBI and Andrew McCutchen added a solo homer for Pittsburgh, which was trying for its first three-game sweep in Milwaukee since 2004.
The Pirates still sit atop the NL Central, but their one-game lead over the Cardinals will be tested when they visit St. Louis for three games this weekend.
Liriano (15-7) was pulled after the Brewers batted around in a five-run third inning.
Jonathan Lucroy's run-scoring, ground-rule double broke a 2-2 tie, and Ramirez followed with a double to the left-field gap that brought in two more.
Liriano got Bianchi on a comebacker to the mound but dropped the potential inning-ending double-play ball and could only get the out at first. Ramirez scored on the play, and Yuniesky Betancourt later raced home on a wild pitch to give Milwaukee a 7-2 cushion.
All told, Liriano was charged with seven runs on seven hits and two walks.
McCutchen took Peralta deep to start the fifth, but any momentum Pittsburgh had ceased when Justin Morneau was thrown out at home later in the inning.
The Pirates left the bases loaded for the second time in the seventh, and the Brewers tacked on two insurance runs in their half on Bianchi's sacrifice fly and Martin Maldonado's two-out RBI single.
Jordy Mercer singled in a run in the second inning, but the Pirates stranded three runners that frame and found themselves down after Davis crushed a two- run homer to deep left-center in the bottom half.
Byrd tied things in the third with an RBI single.
Davis has nine home runs in 48 games ... Norichika Aoki had three hits for the Brewers ... Pirates closer Jason Grilli threw a scoreless eighth inning. He had not pitched since straining his right forearm on July 22 ... Liriano is the first Pirates pitcher since Larry French in 1930 to record a decision in each of his first 22 starts of a season. French did so in 24 straight outings ... The Pirates won the season series, 12-7.
- PITTSBURGH: 3
Sep 4 11:33 PM
- Martin Maldonado single to left scored Aramis Ramirez. On the play, Yuniesky Betancourt advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Donovan Hand due up.
Pirates 3, Brewers 9 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 4 10:55 PM
- Jeff Bianchi sacrifice fly out to right scored Jonathan Lucroy. On the play, Aramis Ramirez advances to third. Runners on first and third and with two outs and Martin Maldonado due up.
Pirates 3, Brewers 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 4 10:52 PM
- Andrew McCutchen lead-off Home Run (19) to left center. Justin Morneau due up.
Pirates 3, Brewers 7 Top 5, 0 OutsSep 4 9:51 PM
- Yuniesky Betancourt scores on a wild pitch. Martin Maldonado advances to second on a wild pitch. Runner on second with two outs and Wily Peralta at the plate.
Pirates 2, Brewers 7 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 4 9:27 PM
- Jeff Bianchi ground out to pitcher to first scored Aramis Ramirez. On the play, Yuniesky Betancourt advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Martin Maldonado due up.
Pirates 2, Brewers 6 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 4 9:21 PM
- Aramis Ramirez double to left center scored Carlos Gomez and Jonathan Lucroy. Runner on second with none out and Khris Davis due up.
Pirates 2, Brewers 5 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 4 9:13 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy double to left scored Norichika Aoki. On the play, Carlos Gomez advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Pirates 2, Brewers 3 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 4 9:13 PM
- Marlon Byrd single to left scored Neil Walker. On the play, Justin Morneau advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Pirates 2, Brewers 2 Top 3, 1 OutSep 4 9:02 PM
- Khris Davis none-out, two-run Home Run (9) to center scored Aramis Ramirez. Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Pirates 1, Brewers 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsSep 4 8:44 PM
- Jordy Mercer single to short scored Pedro Alvarez. On the play, John Buck advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Francisco Liriano due up.
Pirates 1, Brewers 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 4 8:33 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 4 8:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21