4 HRs lead Reds over CardinalsSep 6, 2013 - 6:17 AM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - Todd Frazier hit a pair of solo home runs to give the Cincinnati Reds a 6-2 win over the St. Louis Cardinals in the finale of a four-game series.
Jay Bruce hit a solo homer and drove in two, while Shin-Soo Choo also homered and scored twice for the Reds, who took three of four in the series.
"That was big...that's what we needed to do," Frazier said of taking the series. "The pitching came through and we did too."
Tony Cingrani (7-3) was charged with two runs on four hits and three walks while striking out seven over 5 1/3 innings to pick up the win.
David Freese hit a solo home run for the Cardinals, who have lost six of their last eight games.
Lance Lynn (13-10) continued his struggles as he gave up four runs on seven hits with four walks and six strikeouts over five innings of work to take the loss. The right-hander has dropped five of his past six starts.
"If you look at the game overall, I made three bad pitches that they hit for three home runs," Lynn said. "That usually doesn't happen. You take away those three pitches, and it's a totally different ballgame."
Both teams are chasing idle Pittsburgh for first place in the NL Central. The Cardinals dropped to 1 1/2 games back, while the Reds moved to within three games of the lead.
St. Louis and Cincinnati occupy the first and second wild card positions.
The Reds struck in the second inning on an RBI single from Brandon Phillips and made it a 2-0 game in the third off of Frazier's solo shot to left.
In the fourth, Choo's solo homer to center, his 20th of the year, made it 3-0, but the Cardinals got it back in the fifth on Freese's leadoff homer to center.
Bruce's solo homer in the fifth saw Cincinnati take a 4-1 lead, but Matt Carpenter tripled with one out in the sixth and came home on a wild pitch from Cingrani to make it a 4-2 contest.
In the bottom of the sixth, Choo singled with one out and Joey Votto later walked before Bruce singled to center for a 5-2 lead.
Frazier's second home run of the game came in the seventh when he led off the frame with a blast over the left field wall for his 15th home run of the season.
Aroldis Chapman stranded two men on base in the ninth to close out the victory.
The Cardinals start a three-game series at home against Pittsburgh starting on Friday ... Cincinnati hosts the Dodgers for three games beginning Friday ... The Cardinals won 11 of the 19 games in the season series with the Reds .. Before the game, the Cardinals announced that first baseman Allen Craig has a mid-left foot strain he suffered on Wednesday. He will wear a walking boot and be re-evaluated next week.
- ST. LOUIS: 2
Sep 5 10:15 PM
- Todd Frazier lead off Home Run 2 (15) to left. Zack Cozart due up.
Cardinals 2, Reds 6 Bot 7, 0 OutsSep 5 9:36 PM
- Jay Bruce single to center scored Shin-Soo Choo with two out. On the play, Joey Votto advances to third. Runners on first and third with Ryan Ludwick due up.
Cardinals 2, Reds 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 5 9:19 PM
- Matt Carpenter scored on a Tony Cingrani wild pitch with one out. None on and Shane Robinson at the plate.
Cardinals 2, Reds 4 Top 6, 1 OutSep 5 8:58 PM
- Jay Bruce lead-off Home Run (27) to center. Ryan Ludwick due up.
Cardinals 1, Reds 4 Bot 5, 0 OutsSep 5 8:44 PM
- David Freese lead-off Home Run (7) to center. Matt Adams due up.
Cardinals 1, Reds 3 Top 5, 0 OutsSep 5 8:36 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo one-out, solo Home Run (20) to center. Brandon Phillips due up.
Cardinals 0, Reds 3 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 5 8:29 PM
- Todd Frazier two-out, solo Home Run (14) to left. Zack Cozart due up.
Cardinals 0, Reds 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 5 8:10 PM
- Brandon Phillips single to short scored Tony Cingrani with two out. On the play, Shin-Soo Choo advances to second. Runners on first and second with Joey Votto due up.
Cardinals 0, Reds 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 5 7:52 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 5 7:11 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21