Guzman drives in game-winning run, Padres edge RockiesSep 7, 2013 - 7:14 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Jesus Guzman singled home Kyle Blanks in the ninth inning as the San Diego Padres edged the Colorado Rockies, 4-3, on Friday.
Todd Helton's leadoff homer in the top of the ninth gave Colorado a 3-2 lead, but Chase Headley led off with a homer of his own in the home half, a towering shot to left field off Rex Brothers, to tie the game.
Blanks followed with a walk and Alexi Amarista reached on a bunt single. Ronny Cedeno moved the runners into scoring position and Brothers walked Nick Hundley to load the bases.
Guzman followed with a line drive single just inside the third base line that scored Blanks for the game-winning run.
"I think that game was Chase Headley," Guzman said. "He won the game because he changed the game. If he didn't change the game, I don't get that hit."
Will Venable also hit a solo homer for the Padres, winners in three of their last four games.
Huston Street (2-4) earned the win despite giving up Helton's homer in the ninth inning. Starter Burch Smith allowed two runs on four hits and four walks while striking out a career-high seven over five innings.
Troy Tulowitzki and Michael Cuddyer drove in one run apiece for the Rockies, who saw starter Juan Nicasio give up two runs -- one earned -- on four hits while fanning seven over six innings.
Brothers (2-1) was pegged with the loss.
"If you make bad pitches, you get beat in this league," Brothers said.
The Rockies scored a pair of runs in the first inning. Dexter Fowler led off with a double and DJ LeMahieu followed with a single to put runners on the corners. Tulowitzki followed with a double to center to score Fowler. LeMahieu scored on Cuddyer's fielder choice.
Venable's leadoff homer in the home half made it 2-1.
The Padres tied the game in the sixth. Chris Denorfia walked then scored on Jedd Gyorko's ground out to third. Gyorko tapped a chopper to the left side and was thrown out at first by LeMahieu. Helton then fired it back across the diamond to get Denorfia, who was going from first to third on the play.
No one covered third on the play, however, and Helton's throw bounced off the wall in shallow left field. Wilin Rosario, who was racing down the line to cover third, recovered the ball off the carom and fired home, but Denorfia made an incredible slide to avoid the tag at the plate and tie the game.
The Padres were 1-for-7 with runners in scoring position ... Headley, who entered Thursday with a 99-game homerless streak, has homered in back-to-back games ... The Rockies were 2-for-9 with RISP ... Helton hit his 367th career homer, putting him in sole possession of 75th place all-time.
- COLORADO: 3
SAN DIEGO: 4
Sep 7 1:25 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Jesus Guzman single to left scored Kyle Blanks with one out to end the game.
Rockies 3, Padres 4 Bot 9, 1 OutSep 7 1:20 AM
- Chase Headley lead-off Home Run (10) to left. Kyle Blanks due up.
Rockies 3, Padres 3 Bot 9, 0 OutsSep 7 1:16 AM
- Todd Helton lead-off Home Run (13) to center. Josh Rutledge due up.
Rockies 3, Padres 2 Top 9, 0 OutsSep 7 1:02 AM
- Jedd Gyorko grounded out third to first. On the play, Chris Denorfia scored on Todd Helton's throwing error with one out. None on and Chase Headley due up.
Rockies 2, Padres 2 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 7 12:16 AM
- Will Venable lead-off Home Run (21) to right. Chris Denorfia due up.
Rockies 2, Padres 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsSep 6 10:31 PM
- Michael Cuddyer grounded into a fielder's choice, short to third scored DJ LeMahieu with one out. Troy Tulowitzki out at third. Runner on first and Wilin Rosario due up.
Rockies 2, Padres 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 6 10:20 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki double to center scored Dexter Fowler with none out. On the play, DJ LeMahieu advances to third. Runners on second and third and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Rockies 1, Padres 0 Top 1, 0 OutsSep 6 10:17 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 6 10:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22