Cardinals outslug Pirates in opener of key NL Central seriesSep 7, 2013 - 6:19 AM St. Louis, MO (Sports Network) - Jon Jay went 3-for-4 with three runs scored and three RBI and the St. Louis Cardinals drew first blood in their key three- game series against the Pittsburgh Pirates with a 12-8 victory over their division rival.
The win, powered by their 1-4 hitters going a combined 10-for-15 with seven runs scored and eight RBI, moved the Cardinals within a half-game of the NL- Central leading Pirates.
Matt Holliday and Carlos Beltran knocked in two runs apiece and Matt Carpenter doubled, tripled, scored three runs and drove in another for St. Louis, which began a nine-game homestand Friday on a high note after a disappointing 2-5 stretch in Pittsburgh and Cincinnati.
Josh Harrison smacked a two-run homer for the Pirates, but only after the Cardinals blew the game open with a seven-run seventh inning that started with nine consecutive hits, highlighted by Yadier Molina's three-run homer.
Joe Kelly (8-3) gave up eight hits and three walks but stranded 10 Pirates and held them to one run over his six innings of work. The right-hander has won his last five starts and eight straight decisions overall.
"You've just got to make pitches when you need to," Kelly said. "I just tried to battle and make pitches when I needed to."
Pirates starter A.J. Burnett (7-10) was knocked out early after surrendering five runs on six hits in the first three innings.
"I felt like I could have stayed out there longer and kept us in it, but that's not my choice, not my decision," Burnett said.
Beltran lined a shot to center with two on in the opening inning, and the one- hopper got past Andrew McCutchen, allowing both Carpenter and Jay to score.
Four straight extra-base hits to start the third pushed St. Louis' lead to 5-0. Carpenter tripled into the right-field corner, Jay doubled him home and scored on Holliday's two-bagger, and Beltran capped the frame with an RBI double.
One of Pittsburgh's five hits with a runner in scoring position came in the fifth when Pedro Alvarez singled up the middle to bring in McCutchen, but the Cardinals' seven-run seventh essentially sealed the Pirates' second straight loss despite a late comeback.
Harrison's pinch-hit homer powered the Pirates' four-run eighth, and the visitors nearly brought the tying run to the plate in the ninth after Clint Barmes walked with the bases loaded and Jose Tabata doubled in two more runs.
Edward Mujica quickly thwarted the rally by retiring Harrison on a flyout to pick up his 36th save of the year.
Carpenter has 98 hits at Busch Stadium this year, tying the park's single- season record set by Albert Pujols in 2008 ... Beltran had three of St. Louis' 16 hits ... Cardinals reliever John Axford and manager Mike Matheny were both ejected in the eighth inning after Axford hit Tony Sanchez with a pitch. Both teams were warned by home plate umpire Tony Randazzo following Bryan Morris' brush-back pitch on Molina in the seventh ... Adam Wainwright will pitch for St. Louis on Saturday opposite Jeff Locke ... Pittsburgh still leads the season series, 10-7.
- PITTSBURGH: 8
ST. LOUIS: 12
Sep 7 12:04 AM
- Jose Tabata doubled to right scored John Buck and Tony Sanchez with two outs. On the play, Clint Barmes advances to third. Runners on second and third and Josh Harrison due up.
Pirates 8, Cardinals 12 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 7 12:00 AM
- Clint Barmes walked. Gaby Sanchez scored with one out on the play. Bases loaded and Garrett Jones due up.
Pirates 6, Cardinals 12 Top 9, 1 OutSep 6 11:53 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Josh Harrison two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left center scored Clint Barmes. Andrew McCutchen due up.
Pirates 5, Cardinals 12 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 6 11:31 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Garrett Jones grounded out third to first scored Tony Sanchez with one out. Runner on second and Jose Tabata due up.
Pirates 3, Cardinals 12 Top 8, 1 OutSep 6 11:28 PM
- Clint Barmes reached first on Pete Kozma's throwing error scored Pedro Alvarez with none out. On the play, Tony Sanchez advances to third. Runners on second and third and Vin Mazzaro due up.
Pirates 2, Cardinals 12 Top 8, 0 OutsSep 6 11:27 PM
- Yadier Molina none-out, three-run Home Run (11) to left center scored Shane Robinson and Adron Chambers. Matt Adams due up.
Pirates 1, Cardinals 12 Bot 7, 0 OutsSep 6 11:01 PM
- Matt Holliday doubled to left scored Jon Jay with none out. Runner on second and Carlos Beltran due up.
Pirates 1, Cardinals 9 Bot 7, 0 OutsSep 6 10:53 PM
- Jon Jay singled to center scored Pete Kozma and Matt Carpenter with none out. Runner on first and Matt Holliday due up.
Pirates 1, Cardinals 8 Bot 7, 0 OutsSep 6 10:50 PM
- Matt Carpenter doubled to right scored Daniel Descalso with none out. On the play, Pete Kozma advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jon Jay due up.
Pirates 1, Cardinals 6 Bot 7, 0 OutsSep 6 10:48 PM
- Pedro Alvarez singled to center scored Andrew McCutchen with two outs. On the play, Marlon Byrd advances to second. Runners on first and second and Russell Martin due up.
Pirates 1, Cardinals 5 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 6 9:59 PM
- Carlos Beltran doubled to center scored Matt Holliday with none out. Runner on second and Yadier Molina due up.
Pirates 0, Cardinals 5 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 6 9:21 PM
- Matt Holliday doubled to right scored Jon Jay with none out. Runner on second and Carlos Beltran due up.
Pirates 0, Cardinals 4 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 6 9:19 PM
- Jon Jay doubled to left scored Matt Carpenter with none out. Runner on second and Matt Holliday due up.
Pirates 0, Cardinals 3 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 6 9:14 PM
- Carlos Beltran singled to center scored Matt Carpenter and Jon Jay with one out, advances to second on Andrew McCutchen's fielding error. Runner on second with one out and Yadier Molina due up.
Pirates 0, Cardinals 2 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 6 8:38 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 6 8:16 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21