Reds win in 10, deal Dodgers third straight lossSep 7, 2013 - 10:03 PM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - Todd Frazier singled in the game-winning run in the bottom of the 10th inning as the Cincinnati Reds defeated the Los Angeles Dodgers, 4-3, in the second game of a three-game set.
Brian Wilson (1-1) entered the game for Los Angeles in the 10th and walked Ryan Ludwick. Billy Hamilton came in to pinch-run for Ludwick and proceeded to steal second before scoring the deciding run on Frazier's grounder that got through the infield.
"I've said it before, September is the time to step up or shut up. You forget about what has been going on in the year. You just have to keep striving to be better. It's a long season and people have to understand that. It's been a fun month for the Reds," said Todd Frazier.
Cesar Izturis finished with three hits, including a double, to go with a run scored and an RBI for the Reds, who have won three in a row.
J.J. Hoover (4-5) was credited with the win after allowing only one hit in the top of the 10th. Cincinnati starter Mat Latos surrendered three runs across seven innings, while Zack Greinke allowed two runs over six frames in the start for Los Angeles.
"We got plenty of big outs, we just didn't get enough hits. We didn't get enough runs," said Dodgers' manager Don Mattingly.
Yasiel Puig stroked a two-run homer and Adrian Gonzalez went 4-for-5 in the setback, LA's third in a row.
The Dodgers opened the scoring in the first. Latos hit Puig with a pitch and gave up a single to Gonzalez before Hanley Ramirez singled on a line drive to left to bring in Puig from second.
After singles from Izturis and Joey Votto in the home half, Jay Bruce singled to left field to plate Izturis. Votto came home on a base hit from Ludwick to give the Reds a 2-1 lead.
Puig belted a line drive over the left-field wall to score A.J. Ellis and put the Dodgers back on top in the top of the second.
Greinke got out of a one-out, bases-loaded jam in the fifth by fanning Bruce and Ludwick in succession to end the inning.
The Reds tied the game in the seventh. Shin-Soo Choo singled up the middle and scored when Izturis smacked a line-drive double to left field.
Cincinnati's win gave Dusty Baker his 500th victory as the Reds' manager ... Dodgers' third baseman Jerry Hairston was ejected by home plate umpire Jeff Nelson for arguing a call in the ninth ... Votto drew three walks ... Los Angeles went 3-for-7 with runners in scoring position ... Cincinnati shortstop Zack Cozart extended his hitting streak to 12 games.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
Sep 7 5:05 PM
- Todd Frazier single to right scored pinch-runner Billy Hamilton with none out to end the game.
Dodgers 3, Reds 4 Bot 10, 0 OutsSep 7 5:00 PM
- Cesar Izturis doubled to left scored Shin-Soo Choo with one out. Runner on second and Joey Votto due up.
Dodgers 3, Reds 3 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 7 3:43 PM
- Yasiel Puig two-out, two-run Home Run (15) to left scored A.J. Ellis. Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Dodgers 3, Reds 2 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 7 1:40 PM
- Ryan Ludwick single to left scored Joey Votto with one out. On the play, Jay Bruce out at third, left to third to short. Runner on first with two outs and Todd Frazier due up.
Dodgers 1, Reds 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 7 1:30 PM
- Jay Bruce single to left scored Cesar Izturis with one out. On the play, Joey Votto advances to second. Runners on first and second and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Dodgers 1, Reds 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 7 1:27 PM
- Hanley Ramirez single to left scored Yasiel Puig with one out. On the play, Adrian Gonzalez advances to second. Runners on first and second and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 1, Reds 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 7 1:12 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 7 1:07 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22