Strasburg helps Nationals down MarlinsSep 9, 2013 - 5:13 AM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Wilson Ramos went 3-for-5 with a solo homer, two RBI and two runs scored as the Washington Nationals beat the Miami Marlins, 6-4, in the rubber match of a three-game series.
Ryan Zimmerman also hit a solo homer for the Nationals, who have won four of five. Ian Desmond went 3-for-5 with two RBI and a run scored.
Washington starter Stephen Strasburg (7-9) allowed four runs on four hits while striking out seven over six innings.
"Stras should have been able to go further but he was a little out of sorts today," Nationals manager Davey Johnson said.
Adeiny Hechavarria and Greg Dobbs had an RBI apiece for the Marlins, who went 1-for-7 with runners in scoring position and stranded six.
Jacob Turner (3-6) got the start for Miami and gave up five runs on nine hits over four-plus innings.
"We know we have to pitch and play almost perfect to win and we weren't able to do that," Marlins manager Mike Redmond said.
Ramos' homer to left-center field in the second made it 1-0 Washington.
The Marlins, however, responded with three runs in the bottom half. Justin Ruggiano and Logan Morrison singled and Placido Polanco walked to load the bases. A run scored on a balk. Hechavarria followed with an RBI groundout. After Rob Brantly walked, Polanco crossed the plate on another Strasburg balk.
Washington tied the game with a pair of runs in the third. Zimmerman led off with a homer to left. Jayson Werth doubled to left and raced home on Desmond's double to right-center field.
The Nationals tacked on two more runs in the fifth. Desmond singled, stole second and scored on Ramos' single to shallow left field. Ryan Webb came in from the bullpen and gave up an RBI triple to Anthony Rendon.
Washington scored once more in the sixth. Adam LaRoche worked a two-out walk, stole second and raced home on Desmond's triple to center, making it a 6-3 game.
The Marlins got the run back in the bottom half. With men on first and second and two outs, a pinch-hitting Dobbs hit an RBI single to right.
Drew Storen, Tyler Clippard and Rafael Soriano each tossed a scoreless inning of relief for Washington. Soriano recorded his 39th save of the season.
Washington leads the season series by an 11-4 margin ... Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton (foot) was held out of the lineup. ... Strasburg improved to 6-3 lifetime against the Marlins.
- WASHINGTON: 6
Sep 8 4:19 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Greg Dobbs single to right scored Donovan Solano with two out. On the play, Justin Ruggiano advances to third. Runners on first and third and Adeiny Hechavarria due up.
Nationals 6, Marlins 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 8 3:15 PM
- Ian Desmond triple to center scored Adam LaRoche with two out. Runner on third and Wilson Ramos due up.
Nationals 6, Marlins 3 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 8 3:03 PM
- Anthony Rendon triple to left scored Wilson Ramos with one out. Runner on third and Stephen Strasburg due up.
Nationals 5, Marlins 3 Top 5, 1 OutSep 8 2:41 PM
- Wilson Ramos infield single to short scored Ian Desmond with none out. Runner on first and Tyler Moore due up.
Nationals 4, Marlins 3 Top 5, 0 OutsSep 8 2:36 PM
- Ian Desmond double to center scored Jayson Werth with one out. Runner on second and Wilson Ramos due up.
Nationals 3, Marlins 3 Top 3, 1 OutSep 8 1:58 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman lead-off Home Run (20) to left. Jayson Werth due up.
Nationals 2, Marlins 3 Top 3, 0 OutsSep 8 1:54 PM
- Rob Brantly advances to third and Placido Polanco scored on a Stephen Strasburg balk with two out. Runner on third and Chris Coghlan at the plate.
Nationals 1, Marlins 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 8 1:49 PM
- Adeiny Hechavarria grounded out pitcher to first scored Logan Morrison with one out. On the play, Placido Polanco advances to third. Runner on third and Rob Brantly due up.
Nationals 1, Marlins 2 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 8 1:45 PM
- Placido Polanco advances to second, Logan Morrison advances to third and Justin Ruggiano scored on a Stephen Strasburg balk with none out. Runners on second and third and Adeiny Hechavarria at the plate.
Nationals 1, Marlins 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsSep 8 1:44 PM
- Wilson Ramos lead-off Home Run (11) to left center. Tyler Moore due up.
Nationals 1, Marlins 0 Top 2, 0 OutsSep 8 1:29 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 8 1:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Marlins' Yelich scratched from lineup because of back spasms May 21
- Auction site says it's selling Bryce Harper fight jersey May 21