Van Slyke's 11th-inning HR sends Dodgers past D'backsSep 11, 2013 - 7:27 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Had it been 10 more feet to the right, it wouldn't have cleared the wall.
Scott Van Slyke's game-winning, pinch-hit two-run homer in the bottom of the 11th inning lifted the Los Angeles Dodgers to a 5-3 win over the Arizona Diamondbacks in the middle test of a three-game set.
Mark Ellis slapped a one-out single through the hole on the right side of the infield against Josh Collmenter (4-3) before Van Slyke ripped a hooking, sinking liner that just got into the front row of seats in left.
"That was fun, it was good to get the game over. I got a good ball to hit, it was a changeup down and I was lucky to get the barrel on it," Van Slyke said.
Edinson Volquez, in his second start since being signed by Los Angeles on Aug. 30, surrendered three runs on four hits and a walk over six innings for the Dodgers, who have won two straight on the heels of a four-game slide.
Volquez allowed four runs over four frames in his first start for the Dodgers against the Colorado Rockies last week.
Chris Withrow (3-0), who tossed 1 1/3 perfect innings to pick up the win, was one of five Los Angeles relievers who combined for five shutout innings.
The magic number for the Dodgers to clinch the NL West was reduced to six.
Didi Gregorius smacked a two-run homer for Arizona, which has dropped five in a row to the Dodgers.
"As a team. we're not playing well and our record reflects that," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said.
RBI groundouts by Volquez and Yasiel Puig in the third staked the Dodgers to a 2-0 lead before Arizona countered with a run in the fourth and two more in the fifth to go in front.
Miguel Montero's two-out RBI single in the fourth got the Diamondbacks on the board and Gregorius' two-run blast gave Arizona a 3-2 edge in the fifth.
Andre Ethier's two-out RBI double in the home fifth tied it.
The Dodgers were 2-for-10 with runners in scoring position, while Arizona finished 1-for-3 with RISP ... Puig tallied his 11th stolen base of the season.
- ARIZONA: 3
LOS ANGELES: 5
Sep 11 1:50 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Scott Van Slyke one-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left scored Mark Ellis to win the game.
Diamondbacks 3, Dodgers 5 Bot 11, 1 OutSep 11 1:47 AM
- Andre Ethier double to right scored Hanley Ramirez with two out. On the play, Adrian Gonzalez advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Juan Uribe due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Dodgers 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 10 11:50 PM
- Didi Gregorius none-out, two-run Home Run (7) to right scored Gerardo Parra. Trevor Cahill due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Dodgers 2 Top 5, 0 OutsSep 10 11:32 PM
- Miguel Montero single to left scored Paul Goldschmidt with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Matt Davidson due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Dodgers 2 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 10 11:14 PM
- Yasiel Puig fielder's choice to short scored Mark Ellis with two out. Edinson Volquez out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Carl Crawford due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Dodgers 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 10 10:50 PM
- Miguel Montero throwing error scored Juan Uribe with one out. On the play, Mark Ellis advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Yasiel Puig due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Dodgers 1 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 10 10:47 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 10 10:11 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21