Miller, Cardinals down BrewersSep 11, 2013 - 7:25 AM St. Louis, MO (Sports Network) - Shelby Miller outdueled Wily Peralta and the St. Louis Cardinals edged the Milwaukee Brewers, 4-2, in the opener of a three-game set at Busch Stadium.
Miller (13-9) allowed five hits and two walks while striking out four over 6 2/3 scoreless innings.
"The first time we saw him, he just threw high fastballs and blew us away. He's really pitching now," Milwaukee manager Ron Roenicke said.
Peralta (9-15) carried a no-hitter into the sixth before giving up a two-run homer to Matt Holliday. Peralta lasted 6 2/3 innings, allowing three runs in total on just two hits while striking out seven.
Matt Carpenter went 1-for-3 with an RBI and a run scored for the Cardinals, who hold a one-game lead over the Pittsburgh Pirates atop the NL Central standings.
"We know what's at stake," Miller said. "We're watching the other teams, we're keeping up with it all. I think it makes it more fun for us."
Logan Schafer hit a two-run pinch-hit homer and Scooter Gennett had two hits and a run scored for the Brewers.
St. Louis took the lead in the sixth on Holliday's blast. Carpenter walked, and after Jon Jay flew out, Holliday smashed a first-pitch fastball into the seats in left-center field.
Carpenter singled home Matt Adams in the seventh, and Adams singled home Adron Chambers in the eighth to make it 4-0.
Schafer stroked his two-run homer with one out in the ninth, but Edward Mujica retired the final two hitters to seal the win.
Holliday has 19 homers this season ... The Cardinals went 3-for-7 with runners in scoring position ... Carpenter has 113 runs scored and 70 RBI this season ... Peralta has dropped five of his last six decisions ... The Brewers had won two straight entering the contest.
- MILWAUKEE: 2
ST. LOUIS: 4
Sep 10 11:19 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Logan Schafer one-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right scored Scooter Gennett. Burke Badenhop due up.
Brewers 2, Cardinals 4 Top 9, 1 OutSep 10 11:16 PM
- Matt Adams singled to right scored Adron Chambers. On the play, Yadier Molina advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Pete Kozma due up.
Brewers 0, Cardinals 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 10 11:01 PM
- Matt Carpenter singled to center scored Matt Adams. On the play, Carpenter advances to second and Kolten Wong advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Jon Jay due up.
Brewers 0, Cardinals 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 10 10:31 PM
- Matt Holliday two-out, two-run Home Run (19) to left center scored Matt Carpenter broke up Wily Peralta's no-hitter. Carlos Beltran due up.
Brewers 0, Cardinals 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 10 9:56 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 10 8:17 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21