Gomez leads Brewers past RedsSep 14, 2013 - 5:21 AM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - Carlos Gomez went 3-for-5 with five RBI and Kyle Lohse tossed his ninth career complete game to lead the Milwaukee Brewers to a 5-1 win over the Cincinnati Reds on Friday.
Lohse (10-9) allowed one run on four hits while striking out five. After giving up three consecutive singles to open the second, Lohse retired 23 straight before walking Jay Bruce with two outs in the ninth.
"He really threw the ball well all game," Milwaukee manager Ron Roenicke said of Lohse. "He even got better probably the later we got."
Jean Segura went 2-for-4 with two runs scored and Jonathan Lucroy doubled and scored twice for the Brewers, winners in four of their last six games.
Devin Mesoraco drove in the lone run for the Reds, who have dropped three of their last four. With the loss and a Washington win, Cincinnati saw its lead for the final NL Wild Card spot fall to just 4 1/2 games.
Mat Latos (14-6) yielded all five runs on seven hits and three walks over 6 2/3 innings to absorb the loss.
"A couple jams shots that beat us," Latos said. "You beat a guy and then technically you don't beat him because he beats you."
Milwaukee plated a pair of runs in the first to take an early lead. Norichika Aoki walked, Lucroy doubled and Aramis Ramirez was hit by a pitch. Gomez followed with a two-run single just over the head of Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips.
Ryan Ludwick scored on Mesoraco's ground out in the second to make it 2-1.
Gomez singled home Segura in the third and before knocking in a pair of runs in the seventh to make it a 5-1 game.
Lohse has won five of his last seven decisions ... Lohse's last complete game came on April 21, 2011 ... The Brewers went 3-for-11 with RISP ... Segura stole two bases in the game and has 42 this season.
- CINCINNATI: 1
Sep 13 11:01 PM
- Ryan Ludwick grounded out third to first to end the game.
Sep 13 10:58 PM
- Carlos Gomez single to center scored Jean Segura and Jonathan Lucroy. On the play, Carlos Gomez advances to second on Shin-Soo Choo's fielding error and Jeff Bianchi advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Scooter Gennett due up.
Reds 1, Brewers 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 13 10:28 PM
- Carlos Gomez single to left scored Jean Segura. Runner on first with two outs and Scooter Gennett due up.
Reds 1, Brewers 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 13 9:15 PM
- Devin Mesoraco ground into a fielder's choice, third to second scoring Ryan Ludwick. Zack Cozart out at second and Jack Hannahan advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Mat Latos due up.
Reds 1, Brewers 2 Top 2, 1 OutSep 13 8:48 PM
- Carlos Gomez single to second scored Norichika Aoki and Jonathan Lucroy. On the play, Aramis Ramirez advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Scooter Gennett due up.
Reds 0, Brewers 2 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 13 8:30 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 13 8:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21