Rosario leads Rockies over DiamondbacksSep 14, 2013 - 7:05 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Wilin Rosario had two hits and drove in four runs as the Colorado Rockies took a 7-5 win over the Arizona Diamondbacks in the opener of a three-game series.
Charlie Blackmon hit a two-run triple while DJ LeMahieu also drove in a run for the Rockies, who had dropped five of six coming in.
"His hits came at big times, that's for sure," Rockies manager Walt Weiss said of Rosario. "He's just a real good offensive player. It's nice to see him finish strong. "
Tyler Chatwood was touched for two runs on seven hits and six walks in just 4 2/3 innings. Josh Outman (3-0) pitched 1 1/3 innings to get the win.
Miguel Montero hit a three-run home run and Eric Chavez drove in a run for the Diamondbacks, who have lost four of their last five games.
Brandon McCarthy lasted six innings and gave up two runs on 11 hits. Will Harris (3-1) was beat up for four runs on four hits in the seventh for the loss.
"Today, I didn't feel sharp at all," McCarthy said. "I didn't feel strong. It was one of those ones that you have to battle through."
Colorado got two across in the first thanks to a two-run single from Rosario, but Chavez had a sac fly in the third and scored on a wild pitch in the fifth to tie the game.
The Rockies grabbed the lead back in the seventh inning thanks to an RBI single from LeMahieu, a two-run double off the bat of Rosario, and a two-run triple by Blackmon for a 7-2 lead.
Outman got Gerardo Parra to hit into a double play to end the seventh inning, while Chad Bettis pitched a 1-2-3 eighth for Colorado.
Manny Corpas came on in the ninth, but gave up singles to Aaron Hill and Paul Goldschmidt to start the frame. After getting the next two batters out, Corpas served up a home run ball to Montero to make it a 7-5 game.
Rex Brothers then took the mound and quickly got Willie Bloomquist to line out and pick up his 17th save of the season.
Arizona still leads the season series, 8-6 ... The Diamondbacks left 11 men on base after going just 2-for-12 with runners in scoring position ... The Rockies were 5-for-10 with RISP and left eight on base.
- COLORADO: 7
Sep 14 1:22 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Willie Bloomquist lined out to right to end the game.
Sep 14 1:19 AM
- Miguel Montero two-out, three-run Home Run (11) to right scored Aaron Hill and Paul Goldschmidt. Gerardo Parra due up.
Rockies 7, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 9, 2 OutsSep 14 1:16 AM
- Charlie Blackmon tripled to right scored Wilin Rosario and Todd Helton. Runner on third with two outs and Josh Outman due up.
Rockies 7, Diamondbacks 2 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 14 12:28 AM
- Wilin Rosario doubled to center scored Troy Tulowitzki and Michael Cuddyer. Runner on second with one out and Todd Helton due up.
Rockies 5, Diamondbacks 2 Top 7, 1 OutSep 14 12:17 AM
- DJ LeMahieu singled to left scored Corey Dickerson. Runner on first with none out and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 3, Diamondbacks 2 Top 7, 0 OutsSep 14 12:08 AM
- Tyler Chatwood wild pitch scored Eric Chavez, Miguel Montero advances to second, Martin Prado advances to third. Runners on second and third and with two outs and Gerardo Parra at the plate.
Rockies 2, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 13 11:25 PM
- Eric Chavez sacrifice fly out to left scored Adam Eaton. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Martin Prado due up.
Rockies 2, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 13 10:40 PM
- Wilin Rosario singled to center scored Troy Tulowitzki and Michael Cuddyer. Runner on first with two outs and Todd Helton due up.
Rockies 2, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 13 9:46 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 13 9:41 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21