Alvarez, Marlins shut out Mets in openerSep 14, 2013 - 11:43 PM Flushing, NY (Sports Network) - Henderson Alvarez pitched seven scoreless innings and the Miami Marlins shut out the New York Mets, 3-0, in the opener of Saturday's doubleheader at Citi Field.
New York's only four hits came against Alvarez (3-4), who struck out five without walking a batter. Donovan Solano had a home run with two runs scored and Logan Morrison knocked in a pair in the victory.
Carlos Torres (3-5), who was originally slated to start the nightcap of this twin-billing, allowed two runs on three hits and two walks with eight strikeouts over six frames.
The Mets have lost 11 of their 17 meetings with Miami this season and clinched their fifth straight losing campaign with the defeat.
The Marlins recorded their first hit against Torres in the fourth, and it produced a 1-0 lead. After Torres plunked Solano and walked Christian Yelich to start the frame, Morrison reached him for an RBI single to center.
Solano homered to begin the sixth, creating a two-run cushion for Miami. He then protected the advantage in the bottom of the seventh, snagging Omar Quintanilla's hard hit grounder to end the inning and strand a man at third.
Miami then went ahead 3-0 with Frank Francisco on the mound for New York in the eighth. With runners at the corners and one out, Morrison ripped a line drive off the pitcher's hand. The Mets went to first to retire Morrison, but a run came home and Francisco was on the ground clutching his arm.
David Aardsma came on to replace Francisco, who had missed the entire season up to Sept. 8 while working his way back from offseason elbow surgery, to finish the inning.
Steve Cishek worked around a walk to Lucas Duda in the ninth to record his 30th save.
Six games into this 11-game homestand, the Mets have been outhomered, 16-2 ... Yelich went 2-for-3 with a run scored ... Matt den Dekker had two New York's hits ... Miami was just 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position.
- MIAMI: 3
NEW YORK: 0
Sep 14 7:09 PM
- Matt den Dekker struck out looking to end the game.
Sep 14 7:04 PM
- Logan Morrison grounded out pitcher to first scoring Christian Yelich. On the play, Justin Ruggiano advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Adeiny Hechavarria due up.
Marlins 3, Mets 0 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 14 6:33 PM
- Donovan Solano lead-off Home Run (3) to center. Christian Yelich due up.
Marlins 2, Mets 0 Top 6, 0 OutsSep 14 5:41 PM
- Logan Morrison singled to center scoring Donovan Solano. On the play, Christian Yelich advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Adeiny Hechavarria due up.
Marlins 1, Mets 0 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 14 5:15 PM
- MIAMI: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 14 4:11 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21