Byrd's HR lifts Pirates over CubsSep 15, 2013 - 4:41 AM Pittsburgh, PA (Sports Network) - Marlon Byrd's home run in the seventh inning helped the Pittsburgh Pirates take a 2-1 win over the Chicago Cubs in the third of a four-game set.
In the hotly contested battle for the NL Central, the Pirates moved back into a tie for first place in with the Cardinals, who lost to the Mariners.
Jose Tabata homered in the sixth inning to account for the other run for the Pirates, who have won five of their last six games. Gerrit Cole (8-7) tossed seven innings, giving up a run on five hits with three walks and seven strikeouts to win his second-straight start.
"He's showing the mettle, skill level and talent that we saw when we drafted him," said Pittsburgh manager Clint Hurdle about Cole. "He's developing into a top-notch pitcher."
Nate Schierholtz drove in the lone run of the game for the Cubs, who have dropped three of their last four.
Scott Baker pitched six innings in the start, giving up a run on three hits. James Russell (1-6) got the loss for giving up Byrd's homer.
"I get to do something that I enjoying doing," said Baker. "It's definitely fun to go out there and compete at this level."
Tabata's homer off Baker tied the game, while Byrd's 23rd of the year in the seventh gave the Pirates their first lead of the game.
Tony Watson pitched a 1-2-3 eighth inning, while Mark Melancon induced a 6-4-3 double play from Welington Castillo in the ninth to end the game and pick up his 15th save of the season.
The only other run in the game came in the first inning courtesy of the Cubs. Starlin Castro led off with a single and Anthony Rizzo walked two batters later. Schierholtz then hit a one-hop double off the wall in right-center that easily scored Castro. Rizzo, though, was thrown out at home on the relay.
Cole has given up just three runs over 20 innings in his past three starts ... The Pirates have taken nine of the 15 games against the Cubs this season ... Travis Wood pitches for Chicago on Sunday, while Francisco Liriano will look for his 17th win of the season for Pittsburgh.
- CHICAGO: 1
Sep 14 9:56 PM
- Welington Castillo grounded into a double play, short to second to first. On the play, Brian Bogusevic out at second to end the game.
Sep 14 9:42 PM
- Marlon Byrd one-out, solo Home Run (23) to right center. Pedro Alvarez due up.
Cubs 1, Pirates 2 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 14 9:04 PM
- Jose Tabata one-out, solo Home Run (5) to center. Neil Walker due up.
Cubs 1, Pirates 1 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 14 8:43 PM
- Nate Schierholtz doubled to right center scored Starlin Castro. On the play, Anthony Rizzo was thrown out at home. Runner on third with two outs as Schierholtz advanced to third on the throw home and Ryan Sweeney due up.
Cubs 1, Pirates 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 14 7:17 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 14 7:08 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21