Mets beat Marlins 1-0 in 12 inningsSep 16, 2013 - 2:50 AM Flushing, NY (Sports Network) - Travis d'Arnaud ended an afternoon of offensive futility in the 12th inning, with his ground ball RBI single lifting the New York Mets over the Miami Marlins, 1-0.
New York had loaded the bases against Zach Phillips (0-1) with no outs in the inning, but it was up to d'Arnaud after Zach Lutz and Andrew Brown each grounded into force outs at home plate.
On the third pitch he saw from Ryan Webb, d'Arnaud grounded one just past the reach of shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria to bring home the winning run. It was only New York's seventh hit of the game.
"It was an indescribable feeling," d'Arnaud said of his game-winner.
The Marlins had plenty of chances, but were a brutal 0-for-12 with runners in scoring position and stranded 11 men on base. They left a runner at second in the sixth, seventh, eighth and ninth innings.
Vic Black (1-0) picked up the win with a perfect 12th, finishing off an impressive start from Dillon Gee, who went 7 1/3 frames and struck out eight. He allowed six hits and two walks.
New York won three of four in this set with Miami.
Marlins starter Tom Koehler was left hung out to dry despite eight shutout innings. He yielded three hits without a walk and struck out five.
"I was fortunate to get eight innings in," Koehler said. "I just tried to go as long as they would let me."
Justin Ruggiano, Logan Morrison and Ed Lucas each had two hits in the setback for the Marlins.
Koehler is winless in eight straight starts ... The Mets were 0-for-5 with RISP before d'Arnaud's hit ... Daniel Murphy went 2-for-5 for New York.
- MIAMI: 0
NEW YORK: 1
Sep 15 4:52 PM
- Travis d'Arnaud singled to center scored Lucas Duda with two outs to end the game.
Marlins 0, Mets 1 Bot 12, 2 OutsSep 15 4:50 PM
- MIAMI: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 15 1:12 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21