Pirates edge Cubs, keep pace in NL CentralSep 16, 2013 - 12:46 AM Pittsburgh, PA (Sports Network) - Justin Morneau drove in the winning run in the eighth inning as the Pittsburgh Pirates took a 3-2 win over the Chicago Cubs on Sunday to wrap up a four-game set.
Pittsburgh and St. Louis remain tied for first place in the NL Central as the Cardinals defeated the Mariners on Sunday.
Tony Sanchez hit a solo home run for the Pirates, who have won six of their last seven games.
Francisco Liriano pitched into the seventh and was charged with two runs on three hits with four walks and four strikeouts. Kyle Farnsworth (1-0) pitched a scoreless eighth inning to get the win.
Welington Castillo hit a two-run home run for the Cubs, who have lost four of their last five. Travis Wood lasted six innings in the start and gave up two runs on five hits. Pedro Strop (2-2) was handed the loss.
"We knew runs were going to be tough to come by today and we needed Wood to have that kind of game," said Chicago manager Dale Sveum. "He did good and matched Liriano pitch-for-pitch there today."
In the eighth, Andrew McCutchen was hit by a pitch with one out and moved to second on Marlon Byrd's single. Morneau then hit a pinch-hit single to left for a 3-2 lead.
"They've impacted our flow and they've impacted our lineup," said Pittsburgh manager Clint Hurdle about Moneau and Byrd. "We had a good team coming into the point where the deals were made to bring these guys in and they made us stronger."
Mark Melancon pitched a 1-2-3 ninth to pick up his 16th save of the season.
Jose Tabata led off the Pittsburgh first with a triple and quickly scored on a wild pitch from Wood.
Sanchez led off the fourth with his second home run, a shot over the right- center wall.
Chicago, though, tied the game in the seventh as Junior Lake led off with a single and Castillo followed with his seventh home run of the year.
Pittsburgh has won 10 of the 16 games against Chicago this year ... The Pirates host San Diego for four games starting on Monday ... Chicago continues its 11-game road trip in Milwaukee as the teams will play a four-game set beginning on Monday.
- CHICAGO: 2
Sep 15 4:28 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Dioner Navarro grounded out first to pitcher to end the game.
Sep 15 4:23 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Justin Morneau singled to left scoring Andrew McCutchen with two outs. On the play, Marlon Byrd tagged out at third. Runner on first with two outs and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Cubs 2, Pirates 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 15 4:14 PM
- Welington Castillo none-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left scored Junior Lake. Darnell McDonald due up.
Cubs 2, Pirates 2 Top 7, 0 OutsSep 15 3:32 PM
- Tony Sanchez lead-off Home Run (2) to right center. Neil Walker due up.
Cubs 0, Pirates 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsSep 15 2:45 PM
- Jose Tabata scored on a wild pitch by Travis Wood. None on with none out and Jordy Mercer at the plate.
Cubs 0, Pirates 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsSep 15 1:49 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 15 1:38 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21