Halton's homer lifts Brewers past RedsSep 16, 2013 - 6:27 AM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - Sean Halton capped the comeback with the game-winning homer in the bottom of the ninth, as the Milwaukee Brewers rallied over the final two innings to take a 6-5 win over the Cincinnati Reds.
Jean Segura's two-run triple and a sacrifice fly from Jonathan Lucroy in the eighth knotted the score, then Milwaukee received some incredible glove work from Carlos Gomez in the top of the ninth.
Jay Bruce came up with two runners aboard and sent a shot to deep center field, but Gomez retreated toward the wall and jumped to rob him of a potential go-ahead homer.
Halton then lifted the Brewers to the improbable win with his one-out blast over the left center field wall. Jim Henderson (4-5) picked up the win, one of three Milwaukee relievers to throw a scoreless frame.
"I don't think there's a better feeling," Halton said. "Growing up wanting to be a baseball player and a Major Leaguer, that's the top of the mountain, I think.
"I had a couple [walk-off hits in the Minor Leagues], but nothing even comes close to this one, that's for sure. Especially against a team that's playing well, in the hunt."
Four different Reds relievers were charged with a run, with Zach Duke (1-1) serving up Halton's homer. The bullpen effort spoiled a solid outing from Bronson Arroyo, who allowed two runs on three hits and four walks in 6 1/3 innings.
"That's probably as crushing of a defeat as we've had all year," Arroyo said.
The Washington Nationals beat the Phillies on Sunday, bringing them back within 4 1/2 games of the Reds for the final wild card spot in the National League.
J.J. Hoover became the third pitcher of the eighth for Cincinnati after Sam LeCure walked Norichika Aoki and Manny Parra plunked Khris Davis. He was on the mound when Segura tripled and Lucroy lifted a sac fly to tie the game at 5-5.
The Reds jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first. Their initial five batters reached base, as Shin-Soo Choo walked, Brandon Phillips singled, Votto then singled Choo home, Bruce walked and Ryan Ludwick plated Phillips with a base on balls. After Todd Frazier's grounder to third turned into a force at home, Zack Cozart's fly to left scored Bruce.
Bruce reached on a fielder's choice in the third, then swiped second before scoring on Frazier's single to make it 4-0.
Caleb Gindl homered to start the fifth to get Milwaukee on the board, but Frazier restored the four-run edge with a solo blast to begin the sixth.
Halton made it 5-2 with an RBI groundout in the seventh.
Yovani Gallardo pitched six innings for Milwaukee, tagged for five runs on seven hits and three walks ... Phillips, Votto, Bruce and Frazier each had two hits for Cincinnati ... The Reds took 10 of 19 from the Brewers this season, but dropped four of 10 in Wisconsin.
- CINCINNATI: 5
Sep 15 5:28 PM
- Sean Halton one-out, solo Home Run (3) to center to end the game
Reds 5, Brewers 6 Bot 9, 1 OutSep 15 5:22 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy sacrifice fly to right scored Jean Segura with one out. None on and Carlos Gomez due up.
Reds 5, Brewers 5 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 15 4:52 PM
- Jean Segura triple to center scored Norichika Aoki and Khris Davis with none out. Runner on third and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Reds 5, Brewers 4 Bot 8, 0 OutsSep 15 4:51 PM
- Sean Halton grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scoring Jonathan Lucroy with two out. Logan Schafer out at second. Carlos Gomez advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jeff Bianchi due up.
Reds 5, Brewers 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 15 4:27 PM
- Todd Frazier lead-off Home Run (16) to left center. Zack Cozart due up.
Reds 5, Brewers 1 Top 6, 0 OutsSep 15 3:47 PM
- Caleb Gindl lead-off Home Run (4) to center. Logan Schafer due up.
Reds 4, Brewers 1 Bot 5, 0 OutsSep 15 3:37 PM
- Todd Frazier single to center scored Jay Bruce with two out. Runner on first and Zack Cozart due up.
Reds 4, Brewers 0 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 15 3:00 PM
- Zack Cozart sacrifice fly to left scored Jay Bruce with two out. Runners on first and second and Ryan Hanigan due up.
Reds 3, Brewers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 15 2:32 PM
- Ryan Ludwick walked scoring Brandon Phillips with none out. Bases loaded and Todd Frazier due up.
Reds 2, Brewers 0 Top 1, 0 OutsSep 15 2:27 PM
- Joey Votto single to center scored Shin-Soo Choo with none out. On the play, Brandon Phillips advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 1, Brewers 0 Top 1, 0 OutsSep 15 2:20 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 15 2:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21