Molina, Cardinals pound MarinersSep 16, 2013 - 2:53 AM St. Louis, MO (Sports Network) - Yadier Molina had four hits, including a solo homer, and scored three runs on Sunday and the St. Louis Cardinals beat the Seattle Mariners 12-2 to remain tied for the NL Central lead.
The Cardinals took two out of three against the Mariners to keep pace with the Pittsburgh Pirates, who also won Sunday.
Matt Adams hit a two-run homer for St. Louis and Shelby Miller (14-9) threw five innings for the win, giving up two runs -- one earned -- on three hits and two walks.
The Cardinals had 19 hits and secured their sixth home series win in a row, including two against the Pirates. They went 7-2 on a nine-game homestand.
Cardinals manager Mike Matheny said the team has been talking about having a breakout offensive effort.
They got it Sunday.
"It was great timing. It will send us on the road with some good feelings about their swings," said Matheny.
Erasmo Ramirez (5-2) allowed five runs and eight hits in five innings for the Mariners, who have dropped six of seven. He was the first Seattle starter in the series to give up any runs.
The Cardinals took a 5-1 lead with a four-run fourth -- four runs coming on singles by Daniel Descalso, Matt Carpenter and Matt Holliday. Carpenter's hit scored two.
Abraham Almonte knocked in a run for Seattle on a sac fly in the fifth, but St. Louis tacked on four more runs in the bottom of the inning on Adams' homer and RBI singles by Descalso and Jon Jay to make it 9-2.
In the seventh, Holliday delivered an RBI double and Carlos Beltran hit a two- run single for an 11-2 lead.
Earlier, Molina led off the second with his 12th home run of the season. It was the first hit by either team.
"They really put it together today," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said of the Cardinals. "They have a good veteran lineup."
The Mariners didn't have a hit off Miller until Almonte's leadoff double in the fourth. Almonte later scored on Franklin Gutierrez's single to tie the game.
Mariners starters Hisashi Iwakuma (seven innings) and James Paxton (six) held the Cardinals scoreless in the first two games ... The Mariners continue a 10- game road trip with a four-game series in Detroit starting Monday ... The Cardinals start a seven-game road trip Monday at Colorado.
- SEATTLE: 2
ST. LOUIS: 12
Sep 15 5:31 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Mike Zunino struck out swinging to end the game.
Sep 15 5:26 PM
- Carlos Beltran singled to right scored Matt Carpenter and Matt Holliday with one out. Runner on first and Yadier Molina due up.
Mariners 2, Cardinals 12 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 15 5:00 PM
- Matt Holliday doubled to left scored Kolten Wong with one out. On the play, Matt Carpenter advances to third. Runners on second and third and Carlos Beltran due up.
Mariners 2, Cardinals 10 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 15 4:59 PM
- Jon Jay singled to center scored Daniel Descalso with two outs. Runner on first and Matt Holliday due up.
Mariners 2, Cardinals 9 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 15 4:17 PM
- Daniel Descalso doubled to right scored David Freese with none out. Runner on second and Shelby Miller due up.
Mariners 2, Cardinals 8 Bot 5, 0 OutsSep 15 4:13 PM
- Matt Adams none-out, two-run Home Run (14) to center scored Yadier Molina. David Freese due up.
Mariners 2, Cardinals 7 Bot 5, 0 OutsSep 15 4:06 PM
- Abraham Almonte sacrifice fly out to center scored Endy Chavez with two outs. Runner on first and Kyle Seager due up.
Mariners 2, Cardinals 5 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 15 3:59 PM
- Matt Holliday singled to pitcher scored Daniel Descalso with two outs. On the play, Jon Jay advances to second and Matt Carpenter advances to third. Bases loaded and Carlos Beltran due up.
Mariners 1, Cardinals 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 15 3:42 PM
- Matt Carpenter singled to center scored Matt Adams and David Freese with two outs. On the play, Daniel Descalso advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jon Jay due up.
Mariners 1, Cardinals 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 15 3:37 PM
- Daniel Descalso singled to left scored Yadier Molina with one out. On the play, David Freese advances to second and Matt Adams advances to third. Bases loaded and Shelby Miller due up.
Mariners 1, Cardinals 2 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 15 3:32 PM
- Franklin Gutierrez singled to center scored Abraham Almonte with one out. On the play, Kendrys Morales advances to second. Runners on first and second and Michael Saunders due up.
Mariners 1, Cardinals 1 Top 4, 1 OutSep 15 3:19 PM
- Yadier Molina lead-off Home Run (12) to left. Matt Adams due up.
Mariners 0, Cardinals 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsSep 15 2:45 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 15 2:16 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21