Goldschmidt's big day lifts Diamondbacks over RockiesSep 16, 2013 - 6:29 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Paul Goldschmidt went 4-for-4 with a home run and five RBI and Matt Davidson clubbed a solo homer to lead the Arizona Diamondbacks to an 8-2 win over the Colorado Rockies on Sunday.
Adam Eaton also drove in a run and scored twice for the Diamondbacks, winners in three of their last four games.
"It changes every day, you know, I got some good pitches to hit today, that's really what it came down to," Goldschmidt said. "You try to have good at-bats and hit the ball hard, sometimes it works out, like today."
Randall Delgado (5-6) gave up two runs -- a two-run homer -- on five hits over six innings to earn the win.
Charlie Culberson cracked a pinch-hit two-run homer for the Rockies, losers in seven of their last nine games.
Jhoulys Chacin (13-9) was pegged with the loss after giving up six runs -- four earned -- on seven hits over four innings.
"I think it's important no matter where you're at to finish the drill and play strong to the end," Rockies manager Walt Weiss said. "It's good that we're going back home."
Long-time Rockies first baseman Todd Helton announced that he will retire at the end of the 2013 season.
Helton has spent all 17 years of his career in Colorado, where he holds the franchise record for games (2,180), hits (2,500), home runs (365) and RBI (1,372).
The D'backs jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the first. Eaton led off with a single, stole second then scored on Goldschmidt's base hit to left.
Goldschmidt's two-run blast in the third made it 3-0. Aaron Hill walked before Goldschmidt crushed a 1-1 fastball over the wall in center.
With two on and one out in the fourth, Gerardo Parra scored on Troy Tulowitski's error, and Goldschmidt followed two batters later with a double to center to score Chris Owings and Eaton to make it 6-0.
Culberson's two-run blast in the fifth made it 6-2, but Davidson cracked a solo shot in the bottom half to make it a five-run game.
Owings singled home Davidson in the eighth to account for the final difference.
Arizona was 3-for-12 with runners in scoring position ... Goldschmidt leads the NL with 114 RBI ... The Rockies went 0-for-3 with RISP ... Helton did not play for Colorado.
- COLORADO: 2
Sep 15 7:01 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Wilin Rosario struck out swinging to end the game.
Sep 15 6:58 PM
- Chris Owings single to left scored Matt Davidson. Runner on first with one out and Will Harris due up.
Rockies 2, Diamondbacks 8 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 15 6:44 PM
- Matt Davidson one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Gerardo Parra due up.
Rockies 2, Diamondbacks 7 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 15 5:52 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Charlie Culberson one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Jonathan Herrera. Charlie Blackmon due up.
Rockies 2, Diamondbacks 6 Top 5, 1 OutSep 15 5:43 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt double to center scored Chris Owings and Adam Eaton. Runner on second with two outs and Martin Prado due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 15 5:33 PM
- Adam Eaton reached on a force attempt, missed catch error by shortstop Troy Tulowitzki scored Gerardo Parra. On the play, Chris Owings advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Aaron Hill due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 15 5:31 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt none-out, two-run Home Run (32) to center scored Aaron Hill. Martin Prado due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 15 5:02 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt single to left scored Adam Eaton. Runner on first with one out and Martin Prado due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 15 4:23 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 15 4:10 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21