Gindl's big night carries Brewers over CubsSep 17, 2013 - 5:22 AM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - Caleb Gindl finished a double shy of the cycle as the Milwaukee Brewers bested the Chicago Cubs, 6-1, in the opener of a four-game set from Miller Park.
Gindl went 3-for-3 with a three RBI and three runs scored for Milwaukee, which won for the fourth time in five games. The Brewers' rookie has homered in consecutive games for the second time in his career.
"It felt good tonight and I felt like I'm starting to get my swing back," said Gindl.
Wily Peralta (10-15) gave up just an unearned run on five hits while striking out seven. It was his first start since July 21 without surrendering an earned run.
Cubs' starter Edwin Jackson (8-16) absorbed the loss after yielding two runs on two hits in four innings. Starlin Castro had a pair of hits and the lone Chicago RBI.
"He wasn't real happy being taken out of the game," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said. "You respect that when players want to stay in the game, but I made that decision."
The home team broke through with a pair of runs in the fourth inning off Jackson. With one out, Scooter Gennett singled and scored on Gindl's second career triple to center. Gindl scored one batter later on Martin Maldonado's sacrifice and ensuing throwing error on Jackson.
Castro's two-out RBI single to center put the Cubs on the board a half inning later, but Milwaukee plated two more in the both sixth and seventh innings to pull away.
Yuniesky Betancourt pinch-hit for Peralta and singled to center to score Gindl. Then with two outs, Jean Segura doubled home Betancourt.
Gindl capped his career night with a two-run homer in the sixth, a shot that narrowly cleared the wall in center field.
A total of 11 pitchers were used ... Gindl was hitting just 2-for-17 this month entering tonight's contest ... Chicago managed just 1-for-7 with runners in scoring position ... Castro had his 19th error of the season, second worst among shortstops in the majors behind White Sox' Alexei Ramirez (22).
- CHICAGO: 1
Sep 16 11:39 PM
- Welington Castillo lined out to center to end the game.
Sep 16 11:36 PM
- Caleb Gindl two-out, two-run Home Run (5) to center scored Aramis Ramirez. Martin Maldonado due up.
Cubs 1, Brewers 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 16 11:07 PM
- Jean Segura double to left scored Yuniesky Betancourt with two outs. Runner on second and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Cubs 1, Brewers 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 16 10:39 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Yuniesky Betancourt single to center scored Caleb Gindl with one out. On the play, Betancourt advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Norichika Aoki due up.
Cubs 1, Brewers 3 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 16 10:28 PM
- Starlin Castro single to center scored Welington Castillo with two outs. Runner on first and Luis Valbuena due up.
Cubs 1, Brewers 2 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 16 9:52 PM
- Martin Maldonado reached first on Edwin Jackson's throwing error scored Caleb Gindl with one out. Runner on second and Wily Peralta due up.
Cubs 0, Brewers 2 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 16 9:39 PM
- Caleb Gindl triple to center scored Scooter Gennett with one out. Runner on third and Martin Maldonado due up.
Cubs 0, Brewers 1 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 16 9:37 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 16 8:12 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21