Goldschmidt's HR enough as D'backs slip past DodgersSep 17, 2013 - 6:11 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Trevor Cahill allowed just one run over 5 1/3 innings to lead the Arizona Diamondbacks past the Los Angeles Dodgers, 2-1, on Monday.
Cahill (7-10) allowed just two hits, walked four and struck out four to get the win.
Paul Goldschmidt hit a two-run homer for the Diamondbacks, who were held to just two hits.
Brad Ziegler stranded a pair of runners in the ninth to pick up his 11th save of the season.
Hyun-Jin Ryu (13-7) was the hard-luck loser, giving up just two hits, including Goldschmidt's homer, over eight brilliant innings.
"I threw 100 pitches but that one pitch was the decision-maker of the game," Ryu said. "It was an error on my part. I believe no matter how good a pitch it was, if it is a home run, it's a mistake."
Yasiel Puig drove in the lone run for the Dodgers, who hold a healthy 9 1/2 game lead over Arizona atop the NL West standings.
Matt Kemp was activated from the disabled list earlier on Monday. Although not in the starting lineup, Kemp came to the plate in a key spot with runners on second and third and two outs in the ninth inning. Kemp, however, struck out to leave the go-ahead run on second base.
Kemp had been on the DL since July 21 with a sprained left ankle.
Goldschmidt got the D'backs on the board in the first inning. A.J. Pollock worked a leadoff walk, and two batters later, Goldschmidt launched his 33rd homer of the season over the wall in center.
"He threw a fastball first pitch and I was looking for something over the plate," Goldschmidt said. "(Ryu) pitched great."
Ryu drew a leadoff walk in the sixth and moved to third on Nick Punto's double. After Mark Ellis walked and Adrian Gonzalez flew out, Puig drew a walk to force home Ryu.
Cahill is 6-0 lifetime against the Dodgers ... Goldschmidt has homered in back-to-back games for the sixth time this season ... Goldschmidt leads the NL with 116 RBI ... Ryu has two complete games this season ... Punto finished the game 2-for-4.
- LOS ANGELES: 1
Sep 17 12:18 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Matt Kemp struck out swinging to end the game.
Sep 17 12:11 AM
- Yasiel Puig walk scored Hyun-Jin Ryu with one out. Bases loaded with one out and A.J. Ellis due up.
Dodgers 1, Diamondbacks 2 Top 6, 1 OutSep 16 11:09 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt one-out, two-run Home Run (33) to center scored A.J. Pollock. Martin Prado due up.
Dodgers 0, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 16 10:00 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 16 9:41 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21