Holliday, Cards rip RockiesSep 18, 2013 - 6:24 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Matt Holliday went 4-for-4 with a homer and three RBI and Matt Carpenter added three hits, two RBI and three runs scored as the St. Louis Cardinals cruised to an 11-4 win over the Colorado Rockies on Tuesday.
Yadier Molina and Daniel Descalso finished with two hits and two RBI apiece for the Cardinals, who moved one game ahead of the Pittsburgh Pirates atop the NL Central standings.
"You like gaining a game on them, but there's still a lot of games left and we've got to keep winning games to make it hard on them," Holliday said.
Joe Kelly (9-4) allowed three hits and two walks over five scoreless innings to earn the win.
DJ LeMahieu, Michael Cuddyer and Charlie Culberson each finished with one RBI for the Rockies, losers in three of their last four games.
Juan Nicasio (8-8) was tagged for eight runs on eight hits and three walks in just 2 2/3 innings to absorb the loss.
St. Louis pushed one run across in both the first and second innings before busting the game open with a six-run third.
In the first, Molina singled to center to score Jon Jay and Carpenter singled home Descalso in the second to give the Cards an early edge.
Holliday opened the third with a double then scored on Molina's double to left. Matt Adams followed with a base hit to push Molina across.
After David Freese walked, Descalso ripped a triple to right to clear the bases. Carpenter followed two batter later with an RBI single to center and Holliday capped the inning with a base hit to right to make it 8-0.
Holliday hammered a two-run homer in the fifth to push St. Louis' spread to 10-0.
The Rockies pushed four runs across in the seventh. With two on and one out, Culberson laced a two-run, pinch-hit single to center. After Corey Dickerson struck out, LeMahieu singled home Culberson before coming around on Cuddyer's RBI single to center.
Carpenter scored on a Manny Corpas wild pitch in the ninth.
The Cardinals had at least one hit in every inning and finished the game with 18 ... Holliday has reached 20 homers in each of the last five seasons, and eight times in his career ... St. Louis was 7-for-19 with runners in scoring position ... Colorado went 3-for-10 with RISP and left nine runners on base.
- ST. LOUIS: 11
Sep 18 12:15 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Jordan Pacheco struck out swinging to end the game.
Sep 18 12:09 AM
- Jon Jay advances to third and Matt Carpenter scored on a Manny Corpas wild pitch. Runner on third with two outs and Yadier Molina at the plate.
Cardinals 11, Rockies 4 Bot 9, 2 OutsSep 18 12:00 AM
- Michael Cuddyer singled to center scoring DJ LeMahieu. On the play, Jonathan Herrera advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Ryan Wheeler due up.
Cardinals 10, Rockies 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 17 11:20 PM
- DJ LeMahieu singled to pitcher scoring Charlie Culberson. Runner on first with two outs and Jonathan Herrera due up.
Cardinals 10, Rockies 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 17 11:17 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Charlie Culberson singled to right scoring Charlie Blackmon and Josh Rutledge. On the play, Charlie Culberson advances to third on Shane Robinson's fielding error. Runner on third with one out and Corey Dickerson due up.
Cardinals 10, Rockies 2 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 17 11:16 PM
- Matt Holliday two-out, two-run Home Run (20) to right scored Matt Carpenter. Carlos Beltran due up.
Cardinals 10, Rockies 0 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 17 10:25 PM
- Matt Holliday singled to right scoring Matt Carpenter. On the play, Jon Jay advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Carlos Beltran due up.
Cardinals 8, Rockies 0 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 17 9:49 PM
- Matt Carpenter singled to center scoring Daniel Descalso. Runner on first with two outs and Jon Jay due up.
Cardinals 7, Rockies 0 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 17 9:43 PM
- Daniel Descalso tripled to right scoring Matt Adams and David Freese. Runner on third with one out and Joe Kelly due up.
Cardinals 6, Rockies 0 Top 3, 1 OutSep 17 9:39 PM
- Matt Adams singled to left scoring Yadier Molina. Runner on first with one out and David Freese due up.
Cardinals 4, Rockies 0 Top 3, 1 OutSep 17 9:36 PM
- Yadier Molina doubled to left scoring Matt Holliday. Runner on second with one out and Matt Adams due up.
Cardinals 3, Rockies 0 Top 3, 1 OutSep 17 9:34 PM
- Matt Carpenter singled to right scoring Daniel Descalso. Runner on first with two outs and Jon Jay due up.
Cardinals 2, Rockies 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 17 9:17 PM
- Yadier Molina singled to center scoring Jon Jay. On the play, Carlos Beltran advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Matt Adams due up.
Cardinals 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 17 8:56 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 17 8:44 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21