Kemp helps Dodgers trim magic number to 2Sep 18, 2013 - 5:59 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Matt Kemp went 4-for-4 with three RBI and a run scored as Los Angeles took a 9-3 win over Arizona in the second of a four-game set.
The magic number for the Dodgers to clinch their first NL West title since 2009 now stands at two.
Adrian Gonzalez hit a two-run home run as did Juan Uribe for the Dodgers, who snapped a four-game losing streak.
"It feels good, it feels good just to be with the team and to be able to go out there and run out with them and compete with them, do all that," said Kemp, who was activated from the disabled list on Monday after missing nearly two months with a sprained left ankle. "I miss baseball man, I haven't been able to play in a while so it feel good."
Zack Greinke (15-3) picked up the win as he gave up just two runs on six hits with a walk and five strikeouts over six innings. He is 7-0 over his last 10 starts and hasn't dropped a game since July 25.
Aaron Hill hit a solo home run for the Diamondbacks, who had a three-game winning streak stopped. Patrick Corbin (14-7) gave up six runs on seven hits over two-plus innings in the loss.
"They got a couple of hits early and I was leaving some breaking balls up," said Corbin. "I just couldn't find my spots early and they were able to get some hits."
The Dodgers jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the first as Kemp hit a two-run double with two outs and Uribe followed with his 12th home run of the season.
In the third, Hanley Ramirez led off with a walk and Gonzalez then hit his 21st home run of the year for a 6-0 advantage.
Los Angeles kept pouring it on the fourth as RBI singles from Mark Ellis and Kemp made it an 8-0 game.
Arizona got one back in the fourth on a run-scoring fielder's choice from Martin Prado, and Hill's homer to leadoff the sixth made it 8-2.
Michael Young tripled in a run in the Dodgers' half of the eighth, while Willie Bloomquist brought in a run with a groundout in the Arizona eighth to account for the final score.
Corbin has dropped four of his past five starts ... The season-series stands at 9-8 in favor of Arizona ... Arizona was 0-for-11 with runners in scoring position and stranded seven ... The Dodgers went 4-for-12 with RISP and left nine on base.
- LOS ANGELES: 9
Sep 18 1:15 AM
- Adam Eaton grounded into a double play, second to short to first. On the play, A.J. Pollock out at second to end the game.
Sep 18 1:13 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Willie Bloomquist groundout to short scored Cliff Pennington with two out. On the play, Matt Davidson advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Miguel Montero due up.
Dodgers 9, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 18 12:49 AM
- Michael Young triple to right center scored Hanley Ramirez with two out. Runner on third with two outs and Skip Schumaker due up.
Dodgers 9, Diamondbacks 2 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 18 12:38 AM
- Aaron Hill lead-off Home Run (11) to left. Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Dodgers 8, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 17 11:44 PM
- Martin Prado fielder's choice to third scored Paul Goldschmidt with one out. Eric Chavez out at second. Runner on first with one out and Miguel Montero due up.
Dodgers 8, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 17 11:05 PM
- Matt Kemp single to center scored Mark Ellis with two out. On the play, Hanley Ramirez was thrown out at third to end the inning.
Dodgers 8, Diamondbacks 0 Mid 4Sep 17 10:58 PM
- Mark Ellis single to right scored Zack Greinke with one out. Runner on first with one out and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Dodgers 7, Diamondbacks 0 Top 4, 1 OutSep 17 10:51 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez none-out, two-run Home Run (21) to right scored Hanley Ramirez. Matt Kemp due up.
Dodgers 6, Diamondbacks 0 Top 3, 0 OutsSep 17 10:25 PM
- Juan Uribe two-out, two-run Home Run (12) to left scored Matt Kemp. Scott Van Slyke due up.
Dodgers 4, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 17 9:49 PM
- Matt Kemp double to left scored Mark Ellis and Hanley Ramirez with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Juan Uribe due up.
Dodgers 2, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 17 9:48 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 17 9:41 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21