D'backs postpone Dodgers' division titleSep 19, 2013 - 7:20 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - The Arizona Diamondbacks broke the game open with a five-run eighth inning, and prevented the Los Angeles Dodgers from clinching the NL West by posting a 9-4 victory over their division rival.
Aaron Hill and Martin Prado each contributed RBI doubles to the late rally, while Paul Goldschmidt added a two-run homer earlier and Adam Eaton knocked in three runs total in the third installment of this four-game series.
The bullpen worked through jams to keep Brandon McCarthy (5-9) in line for the win. The right-hander worked six-plus innings, surrendering 10 hits but allowing just three runs to score.
"It became an outing where you just got to fight through as long as you can," said McCarthy.
Despite entering with losses in nine of their previous 13 games, the Dodgers were looking to clinch their first division title since 2009, but will have to wait another day. Their magic number to win the division remains at two.
Yasiel Puig went 3-for-4 with a homer and Tim Federowicz added a solo shot in the ninth, finishing with a pair of RBI in the defeat. Stephen Fife (4-4), making the spot start, got only seven outs. He was tagged for four runs on six hits and three walks.
Federowicz's double in the seventh made it a one-run game, but the Dodgers squandered an opportunity later in the frame. Joe Thatcher, the third D'backs reliever in the inning, came in with runners at the corners and got pinch- hitter Scott Van Slyke to ground into an inning-ending double play.
The D'backs then pulled away in the eighth. Ronald Belisario served up RBI doubles to Hill and Prado, then was pulled after intentionally walking Gerardo Parra to load the bases. Peter Moylan came on and promptly walked Chris Owings to force in a run and Eaton's two-out, two-run single made it 9-3 Arizona.
The hot hitting Goldschmidt laced a two-run homer in the first inning to open a 2-0 lead for Arizona and the hosts tacked on two more in the third. With runners at the corners, Parra grounded into a force out at second to bring a run in and Fife was done after his walk to McCarthy loaded the bases.
Carlos Marmol took over and issued a free pass to Eaton to force in a run. He was able to prevent further damage, however, forcing A.J. Pollock to fly out and getting a called strike three on Goldschmidt.
Puig sent a deep blast over the center-field wall to start the fourth and Carl Crawford, Michael Young and Adrian Gonzalez followed with consecutive singles, with Gonzalez's making it 4-2.
Gonzalez looked to bring the Dodgers within a run in his next at-bat in the sixth, but a controversial call at the plate kept it a two-run margin. Gonzalez ripped a double to left and Young, hustling from first, appeared to get his hand underneath the tag on the play at home, however, umpire Jim Joyce called him out. Frustrated with the call, Gonzalez was tossed from the game.
"I got to second base and could see he was safe, clearly from second base," said Gonzalez. "I said if you guys are going to switch, hustle so you can be in position to make the call and that's when they threw me out."
Goldschmidt hit his 34th home run of the season. He ended 2-for-4 and is 17- for-31 in his last eight games ... A combined 11 relief pitchers were used ... Each team had 12 hits.
- LOS ANGELES: 4
Sep 19 1:40 AM
- Skip Schumaker grounded out to first to end the game.
Sep 19 1:35 AM
- Tim Federowicz two-out, solo Home Run (4) to right center. Skip Schumaker due up.
Dodgers 4, Diamondbacks 9 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 19 1:34 AM
- Adam Eaton single to center scored Martin Prado and Gerardo Parra with two out. On the play, Chris Owings advanced to third. Runners on first and third and A.J. Pollock due up.
Dodgers 3, Diamondbacks 9 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 19 1:27 AM
- Chris Owings walk scored Miguel Montero with one out. Bases loaded and David Hernandez due up.
Dodgers 3, Diamondbacks 7 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 19 1:25 AM
- Martin Prado double to left scored Aaron Hill with one out. On the play, Miguel Montero advanced to third. Runners on second and third and Gerardo Parra due up.
Dodgers 3, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 19 1:18 AM
- Aaron Hill double to left scored A.J. Pollock with one out. Runner on second and Miguel Montero due up.
Dodgers 3, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 19 1:15 AM
- Tim Federowicz double to left scored Nick Punto with none out. Runner on second and Skip Schumaker due up.
Dodgers 3, Diamondbacks 4 Top 7, 0 OutsSep 19 12:35 AM
- Adrian Gonzalez single to right, deflected at first, scored Carl Crawford with none out. On the play, Michael Young advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Matt Kemp due up.
Dodgers 2, Diamondbacks 4 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 18 11:26 PM
- Yasiel Puig lead-off Home Run (17) to left center. Carl Crawford due up.
Dodgers 1, Diamondbacks 4 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 18 11:22 PM
- Adam Eaton walk scored Gerardo Parra with one out. Bases loaded and A.J. Pollock due up.
Dodgers 0, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 18 11:14 PM
- Gerardo Parra reached first on a fielder's choice, first to short that scored Miguel Montero with one out. Matt Davidson out at second. Runner on first and Chris Owings due up.
Dodgers 0, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 18 11:04 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt one-out, two-run Home Run (34) to right center scored Adam Eaton. Aaron Hill due up.
Dodgers 0, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 18 10:26 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 18 10:11 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21