Cubs hit 3 HRs to avert sweepSep 19, 2013 - 11:29 PM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - Luis Valbuena, Nate Schierholtz and Brian Bogusevic homered and the Cubs won the finale of a four-game series 5-1 over the Brewers on Thursday to avoid being swept.
The Cubs snapped a five-game losing streak and finished 4-7 on an 11-game road trip.
Jake Arrieta (3-2) struck out five in seven innings to get the win, giving up just three hits, a walk and one run. He also knocked in a run with a sacrifice bunt.
The Cubs outhit the Brewers 13-4.
"We played a really clean game, swung the bats," said Cubs manager Dale Sveum. "It's big to not get swept."
Coming off a complete game in his last outing, Kyle Lohse (10-10) took the loss after giving up three runs, seven hits and a walk in five innings. He struck out four.
Milwaukee had a four-game winning streak snapped. Carlos Gomez homered in the loss.
Thursday marked the last game of the season between the NL Central rivals.
The Brewers dominated the Cubs, going 13-6 against them this season, but showed little signs of life on Thursday.
"We didn't have many chances to do much (offensively)," said Brewers manager Ron Roenicke. "We did square up some balls, about five or so that were hit right at people. But we didn't do much damage."
Arrieta walked the leadoff batter, then retired 11 in a row. Meanwhile, the Cubs took a 3-0 lead.
Valbuena homered into the second deck in right field in the first inning to give them a 1-0 lead. It was his 12th of the season. Schierholtz hit his 21st of the season in the third, scoring Anthony Rizzo.
Chicago scored its next run off Burke Badenhop in the sixth on Arrieta's sac bunt.
Gomez homered in the seventh for Milwaukee, his 21st of the season, and Bogusevic belted his sixth of the year off Donovan Hand in the ninth.
The Cubs start a six-game homestand Friday against the Braves ... The Brewers are 5-2 on a 10-game homestand that ends with a three-game series against the Cardinals this weekend.
- CHICAGO: 5
Sep 19 5:06 PM
- Logan Schafer struck out looking to end the game.
Sep 19 5:01 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Brian Bogusevic lead-off Home Run (6) to center. Starlin Castro due up.
Cubs 5, Brewers 1 Top 9, 0 OutsSep 19 4:47 PM
- Carlos Gomez lead-off Home Run (21) to center. Aramis Ramirez due up.
Cubs 4, Brewers 1 Bot 7, 0 OutsSep 19 4:19 PM
- Jake Arrieta sacrifice bunt to pitcher scored Junior Lake. On the play, Logan Watkins advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Starlin Castro due up.
Cubs 4, Brewers 0 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 19 3:55 PM
- Nate Schierholtz one-out, two-run Home Run (21) to right scored Anthony Rizzo. Ryan Sweeney due up.
Cubs 3, Brewers 0 Top 3, 1 OutSep 19 3:02 PM
- Luis Valbuena one-out, solo Home Run (12) to right. Anthony Rizzo due up.
Cubs 1, Brewers 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 19 2:14 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 19 2:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21