Dodgers clinch NL WestSep 20, 2013 - 3:22 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - The Los Angeles Dodgers became the first team to clinch a playoff spot, wrapping up the National League West title with Thursday's 7-6 win over the Arizona Diamondbacks at Chase Field.
The Dodgers squandered a 3-0 lead and rallied from a three-run deficit, with A.J. Ellis' leadoff homer in the eighth inning breaking the 6-6 tie and securing Los Angeles' first division crown since 2009.
Hanley Ramirez clubbed two homers and drove in four runs as part of a 4-for-5 performance for the Dodgers, who became just the fourth club all-time to go from being in last place on July 1st or later to finishing in first place.
"It feels good, it really does," said Dodgers manager Don Mattingly. "I'm a guy that doesn't show a lot of emotion and I really try to keep it even, but this is a great accomplishment for these guys."
Neither team was retired in order until Los Angeles reliever Brian Wilson turned the trick in the bottom of the eighth. Closer Kenley Jansen duplicated the feat an inning later to earn his 26th save and help the Dodgers split this four-game set.
The Diamondbacks did all their damage in the third, quickly erasing the lead Los Angeles had taken on Ramirez' three-run blast to left in the top half of the inning.
Arizona opened the frame with four straight hits off starter Ricky Nolasco. Paul Goldschmidt plated a run with a ground-rule double and Martin Prado hit the ball the other way into the right-field corner for a two-run triple. A one-out single by Miguel Montero scored Prado, and consecutive two-out doubles by Gerardo Parra and starting pitcher Wade Miley put the Diamondbacks up 6-3.
Both Nolasco and Miley pitched five innings.
"I was struggling with everything, couldn't locate much of anything," Miley said.
Will Harris relieved Miley to begin the sixth and didn't retire a batter, allowing three hits, including back-to-back doubles by Juan Uribe and Scott Van Slyke that produced a run. Van Slyke then scored on Michael Young's sacrifice fly.
Ramirez drew the Dodgers even in the next inning with a leadoff smash deep to the gap in left-center field off Chaz Roe. Arizona stranded the go-ahead run at second against J.P. Howell (3-1) in the home seventh.
Ellis drove Josh Collmenter's (4-4) first pitch in the eighth to the seats in left.
Nolasco had gone 3-0 with a 0.83 ERA in three previous starts against Arizona this season ... The Diamondbacks' bullpen had a 1.86 ERA over the last six games ... Goldschmidt finished with 21 RBI against the Dodgers this year ... Arizona still won the season series 10-9.
- LOS ANGELES: 7
Sep 19 6:56 PM
- Aaron Hill flied out to left to end the game.
Sep 19 6:51 PM
- A.J. Ellis lead-off Home Run (8) to left. Michael Young due up.
Dodgers 7, Diamondbacks 6 Top 8, 0 OutsSep 19 6:22 PM
- Hanley Ramirez lead off Home Run 2 (20) to left center. Matt Kemp due up.
Dodgers 6, Diamondbacks 6 Top 7, 0 OutsSep 19 5:53 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Michael Young sacrifice fly out to right scored Scott Van Slyke with one out. On the play, A.J. Ellis advances to second on Gerardo Parra's throwing error. Runner on second and Yasiel Puig due up.
Dodgers 5, Diamondbacks 6 Top 6, 1 OutSep 19 5:36 PM
- Scott Van Slyke double to left scored Juan Uribe with none out. Runner on second and A.J. Ellis due up.
Dodgers 4, Diamondbacks 6 Top 6, 0 OutsSep 19 5:28 PM
- Wade Miley double to left scored Didi Gregorius and Gerardo Parra with two outs. Runner on second and Adam Eaton due up.
Dodgers 3, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 19 4:46 PM
- Miguel Montero single to left scored Martin Prado with one out. Runner on first and Didi Gregorius due up.
Dodgers 3, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 19 4:43 PM
- Martin Prado triple to right scored A.J. Pollock and Paul Goldschmidt with none out. Runner on third and Aaron Hill due up.
Dodgers 3, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 19 4:39 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt ground-rule double to right scored Adam Eaton with none out. On the play, A.J. Pollock advances to third. Runners on second and third and Martin Prado due up.
Dodgers 3, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 19 4:38 PM
- Hanley Ramirez one-out, three-run Home Run (19) to left scored Ricky Nolasco and Jerry Hairston. Matt Kemp due up.
Dodgers 3, Diamondbacks 0 Top 3, 1 OutSep 19 4:27 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 19 3:41 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21