Padres blank DodgersSep 21, 2013 - 6:52 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Robbie Erlin pitched into the eighth inning and Jedd Gyorko homered and drove in both of the game's runs in a 2-0 Padres win over the NL West-champion Los Angeles Dodgers.
Erlin (3-3) allowed four hits and walk over 7 2/3 innings while striking out seven in his first career appearance against the Dodgers.
"He can get the ball in on the hands of the righties and the lefties," said San Diego manager Bud Black about Erlin. "He looked really good out there and we're going to keep working on him through the winter."
The Padres, who had just five hits, won for the fifth time in six games.
Edinson Volquez (9-12) surrendered both runs on five hits over 6 1/3 innings. He's winless over his last six appearances.
"I used to be here and I know where the ball travels," said Volquez. "I was just trying to keep my pitches down and keep the ball in the grass when they did hit it."
The Dodgers, who won the division with a victory Thursday at Arizona, got three hits from Skip Schumaker.
Chris Denorfia reached base on Dee Gordon's throwing error in the first inning. Denorfia stole third and scored on Gyorko's groundout. The throw home from first baseman Drew Butera was a tad late.
Gyorko homered to center field in the fifth.
The Dodgers put together a threat in the ninth against Huston Street, who earned his 32nd save. Schumaker doubled and pinch-hitter Adrian Gonzalez singled to put runners at the corners with one out. Pinch-hitter Yasiel Puig struck out, and pinch-hitter Matt Kemp also fanned to end the game.
Gyorko became the fifth second basemen ever to hit 20 or more home runs in his rookie campaign, joining Dan Uggla (27 in 2006, FLA), Joe Gordon (24 in 1938, NYY), Danny Espinosa (21 in 2011 for WAS) and Alexei Ramirez (21 in 2008, CWS) ... The Dodgers had won five in a row versus the Padres and lead the season series 9-8 ... The teams combined to go 1-for-22 with men in scoring position.
- LOS ANGELES: 0
SAN DIEGO: 2
Sep 21 1:03 AM
- Jedd Gyorko one-out, solo Home Run (20) to center. Chase Headley due up.
Dodgers 0, Padres 2 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 20 11:40 PM
- Jedd Gyorko grounded out third to first scored Chris Denorfia. None on with two outs and Chase Headley due up.
Dodgers 0, Padres 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 20 10:30 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 20 10:11 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 21