Zimmermann, Nats blank MarlinsSep 21, 2013 - 3:51 AM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Jordan Zimmermann allowed just two hits en route to his second career shutout as the Washington Nationals blanked the Miami Marlins, 8-0, in the second of a four-game set.
Zimmermann (19-8) carried a no-hitter over 5 2/3 innings until serving up a base hit to Donovan Solano to left-center field. He walked one and struck out nine to notch his fourth complete game of the season.
"This probably one of the better starts I've had. My bullpen session before the game wasn't that good, I thought this might be kind of a long one, but as soon as I stepped out there in the first inning I knew I had pretty good stuff," said Zimmermann.
Denard Span and Jayson Werth each drove in a pair of runs while Bryce Harper, Ian Desmond and Wilson Ramos added one RBI apiece for the Nationals, who remain five games behind the Cincinnati Reds and Pittsburgh for the final NL Wild Card spot.
The Reds downed the Pirates, 6-5, in extra innings on Friday.
Jacob Turner (3-8) allowed five runs on seven hits over 5 1/3 innings to absorb the loss.
"He can take some confidence away from that game after getting through those first five innings. He moved the ball around and got a lot of ground balls. He showed the stuff that we've seen a lot from him this year," said Marlins manager Mike Redmond.
Washington exploded for seven runs in the sixth inning.
Back-to-back singles from Span and Ryan Zimmerman to open the inning set the table for Werth, who cleared the bases with a double to left. Harper followed with a double of his own to right to plate Werth.
After Desmond grounded out, Adam LaRoche worked a walk, spelling the end of Turner's night. Ramos greeted reliever Chris Hatcher with an RBI single to center and Anthony Rendon followed with a base hit to score LaRoche to make it a five-run game.
Span capped the inning two hitter later with a bases-clearing triple to right field.
Desmond's RBI double in the eighth accounted for the final margin.
Zimmermann has won each of his last four starts ... Zimmermann hurled a one- hit shutout on April 26 ... Zimmermann leads the NL with 19 wins ... Washington has won 12 of its last 14 games ... Turner hasn't made it through six innings since Aug. 3 ... Turner hasn't won since July 10, and has dropped three straight starts ... Washington is 8-0 this season at home against the Marlins.
- MIAMI: 0
Sep 20 9:28 PM
- Ian Desmond double to center scored Jayson Werth with one out. Runner on second and Adam LaRoche due up.
Marlins 0, Nationals 8 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 20 9:05 PM
- Denard Span triple to right scored Anthony Rendon and Jordan Zimmermann with two out. Runner on third and Ryan Zimmerman due up.
Marlins 0, Nationals 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 20 8:48 PM
- Anthony Rendon single to left scored Adam LaRoche with one out. On the play, Wilson Ramos advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jordan Zimmermann due up.
Marlins 0, Nationals 5 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 20 8:42 PM
- Wilson Ramos single to center scored Bryce Harper with one out. On the play, Adam LaRoche advances to third. Runners on first and third and Anthony Rendon due up.
Marlins 0, Nationals 4 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 20 8:41 PM
- Bryce Harper double to right scored Jayson Werth with none out. Runner on second and Ian Desmond due up.
Marlins 0, Nationals 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 20 8:30 PM
- Jayson Werth double to left scored Denard Span and Ryan Zimmerman with none out. Runner on second and Bryce Harper due up.
Marlins 0, Nationals 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 20 8:28 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 20 7:07 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Marlins' Yelich scratched from lineup because of back spasms May 21
- Auction site says it's selling Bryce Harper fight jersey May 21