Dodgers blank PadresSep 22, 2013 - 6:09 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - A.J. Ellis and Yasiel Puig each hit a two-run home run as the Los Angeles Dodgers took a 4-0 win over the San Diego Padres on Saturday.
Clayton Kershaw (15-9) gave up just three hits and two walks while striking out 10 over seven innings for the Dodgers, who bounced back from a 2-0 loss in the opener of this three-game set on Friday.
"A little bit erratic at first with the fastball but A.J. (Ellis) did a real good job of making me use all my pitches on both sides of the plate," Kershaw said.
Burch Smith (1-2) was tagged with the loss after giving up two runs on three hits and five walks with six strikeouts over six innings for the Padres, who had won five of six coming in.
"I'm doing some good things, taking some steps in the right direction," Smith said.
This game stayed scoreless until the fourth inning when Mark Ellis walked with one out and A.J. Ellis followed with his ninth home run of the year for a 2-0 lead.
In the seventh, Kershaw led off with a bunt single and Puig's 18th homer of the season, a blast to center, made it a 4-0 game.
San Diego's only real threat came in the third inning as the first two batters reached base on a single and walk, but Chase Headley struck out and Jedd Gyorko hit into a double play to end the inning. On the double play, Mark Ellis tossed the grounded over to first and Adrian Gonzalez went home with the ball to nail Smith at the plate.
Ronald Belisario and Brian Wilson each pitched a perfect inning to wrap up the win. Game Notes
Los Angeles has won 10 of the 18 games against San Diego this season ... San Diego was 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position ... Game Time: 2:37.
- LOS ANGELES: 4
SAN DIEGO: 0
Sep 22 12:16 AM
- Yasiel Puig none-out, two-run Home Run (18) to center scored Clayton Kershaw. Carl Crawford due up.
Dodgers 4, Padres 0 Top 7, 0 OutsSep 22 12:07 AM
- A.J. Ellis one-out, two-run Home Run (9) to left scored Mark Ellis. Nick Punto due up.
Dodgers 2, Padres 0 Top 4, 1 OutSep 21 11:48 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 21 10:54 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 21