Cardinals top Brewers behind Adams, LynnSep 22, 2013 - 4:59 AM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - Matt Adams hit a two-run homer in the first and scored during St. Louis' five-run eighth inning, as the Cardinals topped the Milwaukee Brewers 7-2 at Miller Park.
The NL Central-leading Cardinals maintained a two-game advantage in the division standings while reducing their magic to number for clinching a playoff spot to one.
Lance Lynn (14-10) picked up his first win since Aug. 4 after limiting the Brewers to a run on four hits in 6 1/3 innings. Lynn, who was 0-5 in his previous eight outings, struck out seven and walked four.
"Once he found that groove, and you could tell found that four-seamer, it was a completely different game," Cardinals manager Mike Matheny said.
Adams' homer was one of four hits given up by Yovani Gallardo (11-10). The Milwaukee right-hander walked two and matched Lynn with seven punchouts in seven innings of work.
"He hits mistakes," Gallardo said of Adams' homer.
Khris Davis knocked in both runs for the Brewers. A groundout with the bases loaded halved Milwaukee's deficit in the first and he doubled home Jonathan Lucroy in the eighth.
St. Louis, though, had broken the game open in the top of the inning.
After retiring the leadoff batter, reliever Rob Wooten gave up three straight singles before issuing a bases-loaded walk to Yadier Molina. David Freese then plated a pair with a single, and Daniel Descalso greeted Alfredo Figaro with a two-run double.
Matt Carpenter hit his 54th double of the season in the fifth inning, breaking Stan Musial's single-season Cardinals record for the most doubles by a left- handed batter. Joe Medwick owns the overall single-season club mark with 64 doubles in 1936 ... Gallardo fell to 1-11 in 17 career starts against St. Louis.
- ST. LOUIS: 7
Sep 22 12:03 AM
- Khris Davis ground-rule doubled to center scored Jonathan Lucroy with one out. Runner on second and Jeff Bianchi due up.
Cardinals 7, Brewers 2 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 21 11:55 PM
- Daniel Descalso doubled to left scored Yadier Molina and Pete Kozma with two outs. Runner on second and Randy Choate due up.
Cardinals 7, Brewers 1 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 21 11:51 PM
- David Freese singled to left scored Matt Holliday and Matt Adams with two outs. On the play, Yadier Molina advances to third and David Freese to second on the throw. Runners on second and third and Daniel Descalso due up.
Cardinals 5, Brewers 1 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 21 11:51 PM
- Yadier Molina walked. Carlos Beltran scored on the play with one out. Bases loaded and Jon Jay due up.
Cardinals 3, Brewers 1 Top 8, 1 OutSep 21 11:49 PM
- Khris Davis grounded out third to first scored Scooter Gennett with two outs. On the play, Carlos Gomez advances to second and Jonathan Lucroy advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jeff Bianchi due up.
Cardinals 2, Brewers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 21 7:35 PM
- Matt Adams two-out, two-run Home Run (16) to right scored Matt Holliday. Yadier Molina due up.
Cardinals 2, Brewers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 21 7:18 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 21 7:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21