Davidson leads the way as Arizona tops ColoradoSep 22, 2013 - 5:05 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Matt Davidson clubbed a three run homer to lead the Arizona Diamondbacks to a 7-2 win over the Colorado Rockies on Saturday.
Paul Goldschmidt, Martin Prado and Chris Owings drove in one run apiece for the Diamondbacks, who had dropped three of four entering the contest.
Trevor Cahill (8-10) picked up the win after giving up two runs -- one earned -- on seven hits over 5 2/3 innings. Cahill fanned five and walked just one.
"When he doesn't walk people he wins," Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said.
Jonathan Herrera and Jordan Pacheco drove in one run apiece for the Rockies.
Collin McHugh (0-3) allowed six runs on 11 hits over five innings to absorb the loss.
"It was kind of disappointing, too many balls up in the middle of the plate," McHugh said.
Arizona scored one run in both the first and second innings before pushing four runs across in the third to open up an early 6-0 lead.
In the first, Willie Bloomquist singled then scored on Prado's double to left field. Gerardo Parra opened the second with a double then scored on Tuffy Gosewisch's base hit to right.
With runners on first and second and one out, Davidson smacked a three-run shot to center field. Parra followed with a double before coming around on Chris Owing's two-bagger to center.
Pacheco singled home Todd Helton in the fourth to get the Rockies on the board.
Herrera's RBI single in the sixth pulled the Rockies within 6-2, but Goldschmidt singled home Adam Eaton in the ninth to make it a five-run game.
Colorado was 4-for-12 with runners in scoring position ... Goldschmidt leads the NL with 122 RBI ... Colorado went 3-for-12 with RISP.
- ARIZONA: 7
Sep 22 12:15 AM
- Paul Goldschmidt singled to pitcher scoring Adam Eaton. Runner on first with one out and Martin Prado due up.
Diamondbacks 7, Rockies 2 Top 9, 1 OutSep 22 12:12 AM
- Jonathan Herrera singled to left scoring Charlie Culberson. On the play, Josh Rutledge advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jeff Manship due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Rockies 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 21 11:56 PM
- Jordan Pacheco sacrifice fly out to right scoring Todd Helton. On the play, Charlie Culberson advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Jonathan Herrera due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Rockies 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 21 11:41 PM
- Chris Owings doubled to center scoring Gerardo Parra. Runner on second with one out and Tuffy Gosewisch due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Rockies 0 Top 3, 1 OutSep 21 11:25 PM
- Matt Davidson one-out, three-run Home Run (2) to center scoring Willie Bloomquist and Martin Prado. Gerardo Parra due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Rockies 0 Top 3, 1 OutSep 21 11:22 PM
- Tuffy Gosewisch singled to right scoring Gerardo Parra. Runner on first with one out and Trevor Cahill due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Rockies 0 Top 2, 1 OutSep 21 10:58 PM
- Martin Prado doubled to left scoring Willie Bloomquist. Runner on second with two outs and Matt Davidson due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 21 8:51 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 21 8:13 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21