Nationals eliminated from pennant race with loss to MarlinsSep 23, 2013 - 1:06 AM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Giancarlo Stanton hit a two-run homer and Christian Yelich added a solo shot as the Miami Marlins downed the Washington Nationals, 4-2, in opener of a day-night doubleheader.
Donovan Solano added two hits and an RBI for the Marlins, who had dropped six of seven entering the game.
Tom Koehler (4-10) allowed two runs on three hits over six innings to earn the win. Steve Cishek hurled a perfect ninth to notch his 32nd save of the season.
"It's nice to get a win here, the first one of the year," Marlins manager Mike Redmond said. "It was nice for us to go out there and battle and pick up just enough runs."
Ryan Zimmerman went 2-for-4 with a two-run homer for the Nationals, who were officially eliminated from the NL East pennant race with the loss.
The Nationals chances of obtaining the last spot in the NL Wild Card race are also slim, as they trail Cincinnati and the Pittsburgh Pirates by 5 1/2 games with just seven games remaining.
"I'm not good at math, but I'm good enough to know that losing makes it tougher," Zimmerman said. "But you've just got to keep playing and see what happens. We put ourselves in this situation. We've just got to keep trying to finish strong."
Dan Haren (9-14) was charged with three runs on eight hits -- two homers -- over six innings to absorb the loss.
Yelich reached on a two-out double in the first and Stanton followed with a two-run blast, his 24th homer of the season, to give the Marlins an early edge.
Yelich smacked his solo shot in the third to make it 3-0.
Denard Span worked a two-out walk in the sixth and Zimmerman followed with a homer deep to center to pull the Nats within 3-2, but Solano plated Juan Pierre with a sacrifice fly in the seventh to make it 4-2.
Miami was 1-for-5 with runners in scoring position ... Pierre stole his 23rd base of the season ... Cishek had 18 career saves coming into the season ... Zimmerman has reached 20 homers in six of his nine seasons ... Washington did not put a runner in scoring position ... Game time: 2:39.
- MIAMI: 4
Sep 22 4:16 PM
- Donovan Solano sacrifice fly to left scored Juan Pierre with one out. Runner on first and Christian Yelich due up.
Marlins 4, Nationals 2 Top 7, 1 OutSep 22 3:24 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman two-out, two-run Home Run (26) to center scored Denard Span. Jayson Werth due up.
Marlins 3, Nationals 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 22 3:15 PM
- Christian Yelich two-out, solo Home Run (4) to right center. Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Marlins 3, Nationals 0 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 22 2:16 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton two-out, two-run Home Run (24) to right center scored Christian Yelich. Logan Morrison due up.
Marlins 2, Nationals 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 22 1:42 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 22 1:36 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Marlins' Yelich scratched from lineup because of back spasms May 21
- Auction site says it's selling Bryce Harper fight jersey May 21