Dodgers blank PadresSep 23, 2013 - 4:47 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Four Dodgers' pitchers combined for a two-hit shutout as Los Angeles blanked the San Diego Padres, 1-0, to take the rubber match of a three-game set from Petro Park.
Zack Greinke went just five innings in preparation for the postseason, allowing both hits and a walk while striking out three.
"He's going on regular rest, even short rest if you consider coming back for a day game after pitching in a night game. He'll get an extra day the next two times." Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said of Greinke.
J.P. Howell (4-1) needed only nine pitches to get through the sixth and Chris Withrow fanned a pair in two innings before Kenley Jansen struck out the side in the ninth for his 27th save.
Andrew Cashner (10-9), who has been one of the hottest pitchers in baseball since the beginning of August, was terrific again albeit in defeat. Cashner struck out seven over seven frames, yielding just a run on four hits. The 27- year old righty has surrendered two runs or less in six straight starts.
"He's come a long ways. It's been great to see the development," Padres manager Bud Black said of Cashner.
The Dodgers broke a scoreless tie in the top of the seventh inning. Hanley Ramirez and Matt Kemp struck out around an Adrian Gonzalez single for Michael Young, who belted a two-out double over Will Venable's head in right field. Gonzalez originally slowed down to stop at third, but advanced home when Venable had trouble getting the ball back to the infield.
Withrow nearly gave the run back a half inning later when Venable led off with a walk, stole second and moved to third on Jedd Gyorko's groundout. Tommy Medica then drew a walk to put runners on the corners, but Logan Forsythe struck out and pinch-hitting Mark Kotsay grounded softly back to Withrow to retire the side.
Withrow returned to the team on Saturday after missing three days for the birth of his son ... San Diego hit 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position and left five men on base while LA went 0-for-3 with RISP, leaving three on ... Greinke hit his third double of the season in his only at-bat ... The Dodgers struck out 13 times and didn't register an RBI.
- LOS ANGELES: 1
SAN DIEGO: 0
Sep 22 6:56 PM
- Michael Young doubled to right scoring Adrian Gonzalez with two outs. Michael Young advances to third on Will Venable's fielding error. Runner on third with two outs and Skip Schumaker due up.
Dodgers 1, Padres 0 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 22 6:02 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 22 4:12 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 21