Hundley, Padres top D-backsSep 24, 2013 - 6:52 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Nick Hundley's three-run homer in the sixth snapped a tie game and helped the San Diego Padres to a 4-1 victory over the Arizona Diamondbacks in Monday's opener of a four-game set.
Hundley finished 2-for-3, with his two-out blast bringing in Chase Headley and Tommy Medica, who each singled in the frame and collected two hits apiece on the night. Headley also had an RBI.
Eric Stults (10-13) and three San Diego relievers made the advantage stand, with Huston Street completing the bullpen's hitless effort with a perfect ninth in notching his 33rd save. Stults allowed just a run over 6 1/3 frames.
"We all take pride in trying to finish the year strong," Stults said. "After the All-Star break, I didn't throw the ball like I wanted."
Brandon McCarthy (5-10) gave up the homer and was hit with the loss, giving up eight hits over six innings of work. Adam Eaton brought in the D'backs' only run. The team had just seven hits.
The Padres took the lead in the first on a hit from Headley. After Chris Denorfia reached with a single and moved to second on a groundout, Headley punched a single to center to open a 1-0 advantage.
However, the D'backs countered in the next half-frame. Matt Davidson, Wil Nieves and Cliff Pennington singled in succession to begin the inning, and Eaton brought in a run on his ground ball force out at second base.
Arizona didn't put a runner in scoring position again until the seventh, when Pennington led off with a double. Stults issued a one-walk before Nick Vincent took over the mound, and the reliever got Gerardo Parra to pop out before fanning Paul Goldschmidt to end the inning.
"We had some opportunities," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said. "I think guys got frustrated. We had lots of opportunities."
Pennington went 3-for-4 ... Arizona was 1-for-10 with runners in scoring position and left eight men on base.
- ARIZONA: 1
SAN DIEGO: 4
Sep 24 12:51 AM
- Nick Hundley two-out, three-run Home Run (12) to left scored Chase Headley and Tommy Medica. Alexi Amarista due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Padres 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 23 11:55 PM
- Adam Eaton reached first on a fielder's choice, third to second, that scored Matt Davidson with two out. Cliff Pennington out at second as Wil Nieves advanced to third. Runners on first and third and A.J. Pollock due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Padres 1 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 23 10:39 PM
- Chase Headley single to center scored Chris Denorfia with two out. Runner on first and Tommy Medica due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Padres 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 23 10:30 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 23 10:12 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21