Rockies upend Red SoxSep 25, 2013 - 5:40 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - DJ LeMahieu and Michael Cuddyer each drove in a pair of runs as the Colorado Rockies took an 8-3 win over the Boston Red Sox in the opener of a two-game set.
Charlie Blackmon, Troy Tulowitzki and Corey Dickerson each hit a solo home run for the Rockies, who had lost four of six coming in.
Tyler Chatwood (8-5) gave up an unearned run on three hits with a walk and two strikeouts over seven innings to take the loss.
"Give a lot of credit to Chatty for the improvement, the strides he's made. Pretty incredible, how far he's come," Colorado manager Walt Weiss said.
Jarrod Saltalamacchia hit a two-run home run for the Red Sox, who had won three of four prior to Tuesday's game. John Lackey (10-13) pitched six innings and gave up four runs on six hits with a walk and five strikeouts.
"I thought John made a couple of mistakes he had to pay for, particularly in a ballpark where you put the ball in the air, it's going to carry," Red Sox manager John Farrell said.
The Red Sox are a game ahead of the Oakland Athletics for the AL's best record.
Blackmon homered to start the first inning, and Todd Helton scored Cuddyer with a single later in the inning for a 2-0 lead.
Tulowitzki homered in the third, while Dickerson went deep in the fourth for a 4-0 lead.
Will Middlebrooks scored in the seventh thanks to a fielding error by Chatwood on a Jackie Bradley grounder to make it a 4-1 game.
A pair of two-run singles, though, from LeMahieu and Cuddyer in the home half of the seventh pushed the score to 8-1.
Saltalamacchia hit his two-run homer in the ninth with David Ortiz on base to account for the final score.
Lackey had won his two previous decisions ... Chatwood won for the first time since July 26, going 0-2 in his previous five starts ... The Red Sox took two games from the Rockies in Boston in late June ... The last time Boston played in Colorado was in 2010.
- BOSTON: 3
Sep 24 11:21 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia none-out, two-run Home Run (14) to right-center scored Brock Holt. Stephen Drew due up.
Red Sox 3, Rockies 8 Top 9, 0 OutsSep 24 11:11 PM
- Michael Cuddyer single to right scored Charlie Blackmon and DJ LeMahieu with one out. Runner on first and Todd Helton due up.
Red Sox 1, Rockies 8 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 24 10:43 PM
- DJ LeMahieu single to center scored Jordan Pacheco and Josh Rutledge with none out. On the play, Charlie Blackmon advances to second. Runners on first and second and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Red Sox 1, Rockies 6 Bot 7, 0 OutsSep 24 10:40 PM
- Jackie Bradley Jr. reached first on Tyler Chatwood's missed catch error scored Will Middlebrooks with two out. On the play, Jackie Bradley Jr. advances to third on Tyler Chatwood's throwing error. Runner on third and John Lackey due up.
Red Sox 1, Rockies 4 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 24 10:27 PM
- Corey Dickerson two-out, solo Home Run (5) to right. Jordan Pacheco due up.
Red Sox 0, Rockies 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 24 9:38 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki two-out, solo Home Run (25) to center. Michael Cuddyer due up.
Red Sox 0, Rockies 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 24 9:22 PM
- Todd Helton single to left scored Michael Cuddyer with two out. Runner on first and Nolan Arenado due up.
Red Sox 0, Rockies 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 24 8:57 PM
- Charlie Blackmon lead-off Home Run (6) to right. DJ LeMahieu due up.
Red Sox 0, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsSep 24 8:53 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 24 8:42 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21