Amarista lifts Padres past Diamondbacks in extrasSep 27, 2013 - 5:42 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Alexi Amarista drove in the winning run in the 11th inning as the San Diego Padres took a 3-2 win over the Arizona Diamondbacks in the finale of a four-game series.
With Josh Collmenter (5-5) on the mound, Tommy Medica singled, Jesus Guzman hit a ground-rule double and Nick Hundley was intentionally walked to load the bases. Amarista then punched a single to center to plate the winning run.
"I was waiting on the changeup and I got good contact," Amarista said. "I'm just very happy to win."
Jedd Gyorko and Chase Headley each drove in a run for the Padres, who took three of four in their final home series of the season.
Robbie Erlin gave up two runs on three hits with a walk and seven strikeouts over seven innings in the start. Nick Vincent (6-3) picked up the win for pitching two perfect innings.
Martin Prado hit a two-run home run to account for the offense for the Diamondbacks, who have lost five of their last eight games. Trevor Cahill was charged with two runs and five hits over 5 2/3 innings in the start.
"I didn't feel real great," Cahill said. "My command wasn't there. I tried my best to get through it. It was the story of the season, I guess. I walked too many guys, fell behind too much. I was able to kind of minimize. It's not really where I want to be, but it's kind of been the story the whole year."
The Padres jumped on top in the third inning. Will Venable walked with one out but was quickly picked off. Chris Denorfia then tripled and scored when Gyorko followed with a single. A double by Headley chased home Gyorko for a 2-0 lead.
Arizona, though, tied the game in the fourth as Paul Goldschmidt led off with a single and Prado followed with his 14th home run of the season.
San Diego, which went 45-36 at home this season, plays three games in San Francisco to end the season ... Arizona finished the season 35-45 on the road and plays three at home against Washington to complete the season ... San Diego won 12 of the 19 games against Arizona this season ... San Diego left 11 men on base after batting just 2-for-9 with runners in scoring position.
- ARIZONA: 2
SAN DIEGO: 3
Sep 26 9:53 PM
- Alexi Amarista single to center scored Tommy Medica with none out to end the game.
Diamondbacks 2, Padres 3 Bot 11, 0 OutsSep 26 9:51 PM
- Martin Prado none-out, two-run Home Run (14) to left scored Paul Goldschmidt. Matt Davidson due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Padres 2 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 26 7:41 PM
- Chase Headley double to center scored Jedd Gyorko. Runner on second with two outs and Tommy Medica due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Padres 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 26 7:29 PM
- Jedd Gyorko single to right scored Chris Denorfia. Runner on first with two outs and Chase Headley due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Padres 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 26 7:26 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 26 6:41 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21