Dodgers blank RockiesSep 28, 2013 - 6:26 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Carl Crawford and A.J. Ellis each homered and drove in three runs, while Clayton Kershaw capped his stellar 2013 season with another solid start, as the Los Angeles Dodgers crushed the Colorado Rockies, 11-0, on Friday at Dodger Stadium.
Kershaw (16-9) kept his bid for a second NL Cy Young award going, striking out eight without walking a batter over six scoreless innings of four-hit ball.
The 25-year-old left-hander sliced his earned run average to 1.83 on the year, becoming the first pitcher to top the big leagues in ERA in three consecutive seasons since Greg Maddux accomplished the feat from 1993-95.
"If we had gotten this guy some runs, he would have won 25, 26 games this season," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. "He just attacks. It's like the scoreboard isn't even there. He goes after people."
Juan Uribe finished 3-for-4 with two RBI and two runs scored, while Adrian Gonzalez added a solo homer and scored twice for the NL West-champion Dodgers, who are locked into the third seed in the playoffs and will start the NLDS at either Atlanta or St. Louis.
The Dodgers pounded out 15 hits overall and did most of their damage against Colorado starter Collin McHugh (0-4), who gave up eight runs on nine hits over four frames to absorb the loss.
"I'm going to take this offseason and work on what I need to do to get better and what I do best, and hopefully come back and contribute another day," said McHugh.
LA pushed four two-out runs across in the first to create an early cushion, as Crawford stroked a one-out single and Gonzalez followed two batters later with a single to right.
With runners on the corners, Uribe cleared the bases with a double to center before crossing the plate on A.J. Ellis' single to left. Mark Ellis then capped the rally with a base hit to center to score A.J. Ellis for a 4-0 lead.
Gonzalez gave LA a 5-0 lead with a one-out blast to right in the third before Crawford clubbed a three-run shot in the fourth to extend the margin.
Kershaw singled with one out and Yasiel Puig walked before Crawford ripped a liner into the seats in right to make it 8-0.
After Uribe opened the fifth with a single, A.J. Ellis crushed a fastball deep into center field to push the lead to 10-0.
Mark Ellis added a run-scoring single in the sixth to make it 11-0.
Kershaw joined Sandy Koufax as the only LA pitchers to post a sub-2.00 ERA in a season ... Puig was removed in the sixth inning after fouling a ball off his foot in the fifth ... Crawford's homer was his first since May 6 ... Colorado has lost four of its last five games ... LA finished 5-for-15 with runners in scoring position and left eight men on base ... Colorado committed three errors ... Gonzalez registered his 100th RBI of the season.
- COLORADO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 11
Sep 28 1:05 AM
- Mark Ellis single to right center scored Matt Kemp with two outs, advances to second on Charlie Blackmon's fielding error. On the play, Adrian Gonzalez advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Dee Gordon due up.
Rockies 0, Dodgers 11 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 28 12:19 AM
- A.J. Ellis none-out, two-run Home Run (10) to left scored Juan Uribe. Mark Ellis due up.
Rockies 0, Dodgers 10 Bot 5, 0 OutsSep 27 11:44 PM
- Carl Crawford one-out, three-run Home Run (6) to right scored Clayton Kershaw and Yasiel Puig. Matt Kemp due up.
Rockies 0, Dodgers 8 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 27 11:27 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez one-out, solo Home Run (22) to right. Juan Uribe due up.
Rockies 0, Dodgers 5 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 27 11:06 PM
- Mark Ellis single to center scored A.J. Ellis with two outs, advances to second on Charlie Blackmon's throwing error. Runner on second with two outs and Dee Gordon due up.
Rockies 0, Dodgers 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 27 10:35 PM
- A.J. Ellis single to left scored Juan Uribe with two outs. Runner on second and Mark Ellis due up.
Rockies 0, Dodgers 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 27 10:31 PM
- Juan Uribe double to center scored Matt Kemp and Adrian Gonzalez with two outs. Runner on second and A.J. Ellis due up.
Rockies 0, Dodgers 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 27 10:30 PM
- COLORADO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 27 10:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22